Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 in good ol' mono

Spikey

I'm sufficiently cloud bored enough now to re-jig recent captures :)

This is M51 Lum data from SGL 7 18x300 seconds with ED80 & Atik16HR.

DSS'd at x2 drizzle for a better scale and a bit of post processing in PS7. I did a colour version which didn't turn out so well, it was tricky to get the bin 2x2 to rotate and match with the Lum when expanded to the correct size after drizzling.

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture17065-m51-x-2-3-crop.jpg

It's with the reducer/flattener. I've been experimenting with different processing packages so I'll be doing a comparison between DSS, Maxim, Astroart and Nebulosity. Same data, similar workflow but different software. Hope to do some performance comparisons as well. It's WIP at the moment as I learn the various differences in the packages.

Stonk me, that L data is right in there!

I find AA5 is brilliant for working within a set of subs, so it handles each filter on its own very well. It is very poor at aligning three colour channels, though. This is important for star colour so I co-register each colour (and the Lum) in Registar, the king of alignment programmes. You can do it manually in AA5 but life (at my age!!) is too short.

Olly

Archived