NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is there an alternative....

....to going out and buying a full GOTO upgrade for my EQ3-2, i have the money to do it but there must be another way of controlling the scope and the current motors with the addition of a few extra pieces of electronic and some soldering.

I already have loads of software on the laptop with all the ports now all i need is the connection ???

Any ideas ?

I think the simple answer to your question is no. The dual axis motors aren't sophisticated enough (no encoders or fast enough) to perform goto functions. You could possibly devise some sort of interface similar to the autoguider modification to drive suitable motors but without a real goto function (simple RA and DEC control).

Peter

I have the same mount as you and am in a similar situation. I am planning to upgrade to the EQ3 goto set. Which turns out to be only £88 more if I get a new mount plus goto rather than the EQ3-2 goto upgrade, seems to make sense to me.

ps, I am not trying to sell or buy anything on here, just saying what I am doing.

I'm even too scared to attempt collimating it!

Ya big gurl's blouse :) Given all the other things we know you've done then I feel sure that collimating your scope would be well within your abilities. Patience and a calm mind is really all that's required, but instructions and a collimating eyepiece or laser would probably be handy too. I bet if you got someone to show you how to do it once you'd be wondering what all the fuss was about.

James

The EQ3 and 5 Synscan upgrade motors don't use encoders at all. They just rely on starting at a known position. IE when you do the star alignment.

Just buying the whole new Synscan mount and selling yours wouldn't be a bad idea really.

John

Ya big gurl's blouse :) Given all the other things we know you've done then I feel sure that collimating your scope would be well within your abilities. Patience and a calm mind is really all that's required, but instructions and a collimating eyepiece or laser would probably be handy too. I bet if you got someone to show you how to do it once you'd be wondering what all the fuss was about.

James

That's me snookered already then!

Yeah I would need hand holding I think or just to have it done for me while I make coffee and nod in the right places! I'm too impatient to read instructions and think about things, I go nuts in seconds when I fail to prepare properly and storm right at it (I know my limitations lol)

Archived