Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bristol Members

jeremy1

Hi. Sorry first off if I have posted in the wrong section :confused: But any members in and around the Bristol area fancy getting together on a clear night and dragging you scopes somewhere for a group viewing and chat. Also probably give some pointers on what equipment and how to use it properly as many heads are better than one (mine). :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll move this to the main Astro Lounge I think - it will probably get some more responses there.

I'm based at Portishead by the way and would be interested in a get together sometime :)

Well they wouldn't be real dark I wouldn't of thought with LP from Bath being a bit of a problem but having said that when I stopped a few times to look at Hale-Bop at around 3am when it was gracing our skies it was quite dark then, this was in a laybye off the A46 just north of Penslyvania...so maybe in the picnic area next to the A420 might be a good viewing place :D the only problem being it has a reputation for being a meeting place for a certain type of person :)

I don't know...maybe the Racecourse?!!

Yup that be him :D Alan Davies??? OMG How sad or disturbing if that is his name and I can remember :):(:)

I hear that Tog Hill (is that right on J18 of the M4?) has been cleared of all the bushes and trees to stop this kind of behaviour...

Yeah that was his excuse - Badger watching - funny because I went on a Badger watch once and the guy who led the watch was a bit of an expert on Badgers and he said there was NO Badger sets in that area.....

I would be very interested to help you Jeremy with organising this observing session as I have already got permission to use a really good site which I have mentioned to one or two of you guys already. I am also a member of Bath Astronomers who also use this site. The 'Kennel club' is certainly a group to watch OUT for but this particular observing spot is on private land, situated off of a private road, so hopefully they won't be a problem.

If its alright with you Jeremy, can I propose that we establish a precise number of those interested and an idea of your availability, which we can then set against the prevailing weather nearer the time. Then perhaps we can agree on a suitable meeting point, from which I can then take you to the site itself. Its general proximity is near to the village of Marshfield, which is situated alongside the A420 (Chippenham Road) and not far from where this road intersects with the A46. This might seem a slightly clandestine arrangement, but this observing site is next to a very quiet village and I wouldn't want to abuse or upset the generosity of the landowners with lots of cars coming and going or even getting lost in the process. I have an agreed protocol with them in which I supply the numbers attending and arrival times etc which will enable me to effectively get everybody on the site in one go. Individuals will obviously be free to leave quietly as and when it suits them.

Apologies if it seems I'm taking over Jeremy, its just that I am as keen as you to organise this get together. I certainly don't have a problem in helping anyone set up their kit so don't let inexperience be a barrier to coming along. So, who is definitely up for some observing? Let's have some numbers and available days/dates.

James

Marshfield I know very well as it's where the model flying club I belonged to fly thier models. I believe any where up there towards Badminton would be a great site and you start to climb up above and away from the glare of Yate and Bristol. Maybe not 100% dark skys but a damned site better than trying to see through all the washed out orange haze. :) Unfortunatley I have to dissappear for the whole of May to a propper dark skys area... Iceland. Unless it's in the summer then it's a light skys area. :D If you guys get together before I get back then carry on with this thread and let me know how you all got on. And James it would be great to pick your brains and let you show me the ropes as I've only done this for about a year now and from my back garden in a bit of a Heath Robinson way. :)

Jeremy, interesting you mention about that flying club as it was next to that very site (alongside Richard Tiley's barn) that we used to observe from until the Kennel Club became a real 'pain in the diagonal':D. In fact I have gone up on several occasions to watch guys flying their planes, so we may have already have met! The new sight is a bit further north in West Middleton which is less public, no stray car lights, very quiet with good panoramic views. Its never going to be as dark as Kielder but given its location, as good as its going to get.

So far then we have, Jeremy1, pajr777, angus1, Dave (apologies), AndyUK and myself and will await to see how many more can confirm. I can also PM one or two others who in the past have shown an interest too so we could have quite a few scanning the skies! Anymore and we'll have the Sky@Night filming us for one of their episodes LOL.

Clear skies for now

James

Edit: Sorry Dave my mistake!

Hi James (Jeremy/all) - Sorry - I've only just caught up with this thread... I live in Peasedown St John 7 miles south of Bath (but used to live in Colerne, so I know Marshfield well - Also the very nice pub in Ford :)).

Please put me down for this as well - It would be great to meet up with everyone... and I desperately need the impetus to get mobile as I seem to be getting crowded out by trees, house, streetlights etc... (and Jeremy - Thanks for suggesting it! :D)

Hi Guys. As I mentioned in my post above any time in May for me is out as I'm in Iceland and I expect this coming weekend will be a wash out :). Please keep this thread running as I will monitor it from my hotel in Iceland to see if May is any better and you all get together. I did get out a few weeks back to a place my daughter took me to along the A46 just past a place called the Petty France, and I had some good dark clear skys. Anywhere up there around the Badminton area would be good though. :D

Archived