Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bristol Members

jeremy1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I might be interested in joining you, depending on work commitments. My kit isn't really mobile but don't mind coming along for the ride, lol!
I'm a little in the same boat really... but I need to make the effort to see if it IS possible at least just once!

... Also need to get my finger out about getting a CCD, but I digress
I really hope we can meet up Lee - I have many tales to relate which might save you a little pain if you decide to complete the journey to the dark side... :D

I'd be really interested but with work and some health issues it's hard to commit or predict - but if I'm around when you're meeting up I'll let you know nearer the time if that's okay? :D

I am up for it depending on when, a Friday would suit me better :)

Next weekend I'm away and also the end of May I'm away for a week.... :) but any other times shouldn't be a problem...

AndyUK, I'm in Frome so maybe we could go together to save fuel? Just a thought :D I wouldn't mind driving!

Hi All. It's great to see so many people interested in a meet up and a chat and a gaze at the heavens. I believe that if we make the effort it is good for re-kindling the interest that we have in the subject. Otherwise we find ourselfs like little Hermits just sat in our back gardens on our own freezing our nuts off. All dates will not suit everybody but I'm sure that a date can be set that will suit most. :D

Hi Scotty - It's a nice idea but I think it may depend on the size of your car. I shall need to pack an NEQ6, and although I'll probably leave the MN190 at home, I'll also need to bring about 4 flights cases with me, my laptop and a dirty great battery.

(Also, being an imager, I'd very likely want to be there until the very bitter end!)

It might be possible though - I'll have to see how much it fills out my car (a Passat) and then I'll get back to you to see what we can sort out. (How much gear have you got...?)

Just a quick reminder to see if there is anyone else in and around the Bristol area who would like to bring their scope along a dark sky observation session with other forum members? No experience needed, scopes big and small are most welcome to share in the views and general banter!:D

James

Yes, if I can make it I'll come. Husband will also attend :)

Can I bring small well behaved dog who doesn't demand to have a go on the scope? If not, then just husband will come, assuming work commitments permit.

Hi Guys,

Keen on this. i am in Chipping Sodbury so not far from the proposed meeting site. Family has taken priority of late so I have not been active on the forum or with the scope. This sounds like a nice, local opportunity to rekindle the passion.

If PMs are shared on meets etc please keep me in the loop.

Anthony

Hi Scotty - It's a nice idea but I think it may depend on the size of your car. I shall need to pack an NEQ6, and although I'll probably leave the MN190 at home, I'll also need to bring about 4 flights cases with me, my laptop and a dirty great battery.

(Also, being an imager, I'd very likely want to be there until the very bitter end!)

It might be possible though - I'll have to see how much it fills out my car (a Passat) and then I'll get back to you to see what we can sort out. (How much gear have you got...?)

Hi Andy

I would probably just bring my bins as I haven't got round to buying a power tank yet for the Mak :( and maybe an EP or two if you think they'd come in useful? :p and maybe have a peek through yours/other people's scopes... ;):) :)

Hi Guys,

Keen on this. i am in Chipping Sodbury so not far from the proposed meeting site. Family has taken priority of late so I have not been active on the forum or with the scope. This sounds like a nice, local opportunity to rekindle the passion.

If PMs are shared on meets etc please keep me in the loop.

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Nice to hear from you again :)

I'm hoping to get involved with this too so perhaps we can meet up again. The Ambermille mount is still doing great service by the way :)

This is hotting up nicely, so I will need to decide on a date(s) to help get this show on the road. Thanks for all the responses so far and will post out some details in due course. All four legged observers are welcome but must be kept on a lead if that's alright. We don't want any 'Benton' episodes with the local wildlife!:):):D

James

Hi Anthony,

Nice to hear from you again :)

I'm hoping to get involved with this too so perhaps we can meet up again. The Ambermille mount is still doing great service by the way :)

Hi John,

Likewise!

And glad to hear about the mount.

Anthony

This is hotting up nicely, so I will need to decide on a date(s) to help get this show on the road. Thanks for all the responses so far and will post out some details in due course. All four legged observers are welcome but must be kept on a lead if that's alright. We don't want any 'Benton' episodes with the local wildlife!:(:D:D

James

Deffo a lead - don't want him having a crafty pee up anyone's tripod either!

I seem to be getting only intermittent updates on this thread, but at least I am getting them... (occasionally!). Hotting up indeed - Sounds like we might get quite a party together!

Scotty - If it's only your bins, then that's a definite possibility... or maybe it might be best if you park up at my house and we then take mine (as that way I can have it pre-packed ;)). If I'm feeling brave (and can leave early enough) I might even see if I can bring the MN190 out... :(

However, as I mentioned, I'd intend to try and be there right to the bitter end trying to wrench out the last dying moments of darkness - I'm hoping to start M16 in narrowband this year (although I know it'll take way more than one session :D) and I'm hoping this will be my first crack at it :p

Yes Andy, I think I'd just bring the bins along....I could certainly drive to you that's not a problem. I would decide for sure when a date is set as I'm not sure I'd stay 'to the bitter end' or not :D and as you'd be imaging I understand you would want to get as much time out as possible! :(

Hi sorry for the silence, but I have been working on this in the background. Scotty, to answer your question directly I would have to say no - for now. The reason why, is that the original intention was for members here to have an excuse to get together with our scopes under a relatively dark sky, away from light pollution, noise etc. It would also be a useful opportunity for those who are just starting out to be able to practice using their kit and to ask question and generally iron out any problems they might be experiencing. If successful, it would be nice to set up this up on a regular basis and depending on numbers, invite other interested parties to come along too.

I'm very mindful of the site's location and that the land we are using belongs to someone else who has been very kind in making it available for me to use. Judging by the response so far, this meeting could include quite a number of people and I am therefore careful to ensure our impact is kept to a minimum. I'm sure in the future it might be possible to extend invitations to other people but would like that decision to be made by the group as a whole.

I hope you don't mind this decision.

James

Hi sorry for the silence, but I have been working on this in the background. Scotty, to answer your question directly I would have to say no - for now. The reason why, is that the original intention was for members here to have an excuse to get together with our scopes under a relatively dark sky, away from light pollution, noise etc. It would also be a useful opportunity for those who are just starting out to be able to practice using their kit and to ask question and generally iron out any problems they might be experiencing. If successful, it would be nice to set up this up on a regular basis and depending on numbers, invite other interested parties to come along too.

I'm very mindful of the site's location and that the land we are using belongs to someone else who has been very kind in making it available for me to use. Judging by the response so far, this meeting could include quite a number of people and I am therefore careful to ensure our impact is kept to a minimum. I'm sure in the future it might be possible to extend invitations to other people but would like that decision to be made by the group as a whole.

I hope you don't mind this decision.

James

Hi James

No I don't mind your decision at all - in fact I respect it and totally understand and agree with your reasons.

The meeting could well include quite a number of people but I guess we wont know for sure until a date is set...?

Hi Guys. After starting this thread I wish I was coming along but alas I must go away tomorrow. I hope it all goes well and will be keeping an eye on this to see how it all turns out Maybe a couple of piccys to go along with it as well. Wishing you all Clear skys and a good nights viewing. :(

Archived