Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

5mm EP or 10mm + barlow

I'd appreciate your opinions on getting a 5mm ep or 10mm with my existing barlow...

I know my Hyperion covers this range but feel that to get down to 5mm equiv. its pushing the baader / barlow to its limits. In fact the edges go dark and its a bit tunnel like.

So ! what do you think would give the best viewing on those special nights when 240 x mag is useable ?

5mm ep or 10mm barlowed.

Looking at around £90 ish

Thanks for all your help peeps

I'm still only a beginner so don't have much experience yet but I would also go for a decent 5mm.

I've barlowed quite a few ep's recently with the tal and the SW,and each time I prefer the eyepiece on its own.

Danny.

A Barlow will give more eye relief as you are using a longer focal length eyepiece for the same magnification. However, with eyepieces around 32mm it can give tunnel vision due to eye relief being too long. A Barlow cannot inprove the field of view.

A best suggestion would be a 5mm Celestrol X-Cel LX at £69. Very sharp and contrasty, 60° fov and 16mm eye relief.

If you were considering a 5mm plossl then the eye-relief issue would be pertinent. With a £90 budget, however, you are looking at better eyepieces which will have good eye-relief anyway.

I quite like my TS planetary (although I've not tried shorter than my 9mm). I had a look through a 6mm WO SPL at SGL6 and I thought it was very nice. The Celestron X-Cels get a good review too.

Andrew

A Barlow will give more eye relief as you are using a longer focal length eyepiece for the same magnification. However, with eyepieces around 32mm it can give tunnel vision due to eye relief being too long. A Barlow cannot inprove the field of view.

A best suggestion would be a 5mm Celestrol X-Cel LX at £69. Very sharp and contrasty, 60° fov and 16mm eye relief.

I agree again.

I was gonna say that a good 5mm EP would cost about 60 quid. I bought a 4mm (yes really) Celestron Omni new for about 60 quid. Cant say i get to use it much. But when i do it gives killer views of the Moon. The eye relief isnt the best and the FOV is only 50 degrees but i can actually see through it.

+1 for single EP.

The X-cel range springs to mind... I think they are about the right price for you and offer decent eye relief at high magnification. I've not tried one myself but have heard good things.

Tried my BST Explorer 5mm for the first time tonight and it was spot on. For the money they're amazing quality. I was looking at the Celestron too but I decided to try the BST and don't regret it.

Cheers Chris

As you see in my signature I have a bst and I like mine too

suppose I need a BST 5mm vs Baader vs Celestron thread now

I have a 5mm hyperion - don't like it. Really hard to find the spot to look through. Much more impressed with my 5mm ortho - granted, less field of view, but the views are amazing - even better than the hyperion, and costs about half the price. Also get some quite nasty eye strain off the hyperion - it seems that you have to touch the glass to get a view (well for me anyway), even then it is a strain.

The way I figured it was that I probably would not get a huge amount of use out of a 5mm EP and so I went for the BST because it's a good price and a good EP, I too was going to buy a X-Cel LX and thought I would be better off trying the BST and I'm pleased I did.

Archived