Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seeing Saturn

Ganymede12

YES! I'VE FINALLY SEEN SATURN! :D

I wasn't sure how much I would be able to see of the planet considering the size of my scope but I wasn't disappointed! I could see the rings very clearly. I was so exited I ran into my house and shouted "I've found Saturn, Iv'e found Saturn". So my parents came out to see, as did my dog. Unfortunately my dog ran into the garden and went head first into the telescope. (It gave him a bit of a shock but it didn't hurt him) After re-locating the gas giant I showed my parents and didn't look at anything else that night.

welcome to the "Iv'e seen Saturn Club" :D and no matter how many times you bring out your scope to look at something else....if it's available, you will always have another look before wrapping up for the night. I would suggest you start a journal too.....a useful resourse for yourself

I always have a celebratory "sip" when I spot something new. Especially if I've taken a while to locate it. Recent celebrations have been for the Andromeda Galaxy and finally splitting Castor, though I tend to keep on finding Saturn for the first time (well, there is a good deal on Spitfire Ale at Sainsburys at the moment) :D

I also saw Saturn for the first time last night. My Mrs was in bed but that didn't stop me dragging her into the garden in her PJ's to see. :(

It's no exaggeration to say that it is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. It looked so real it looked fake. It looked like a model. I just didn't expect it to look so impressive through a basic amateur scope. I was rushing so much to get my 5mm eyepiece in I almost dropped it.

Fantastic sight isn't it? :D

My first look at Saturn was some years back through a dubious 4.5" newt. Just bought 2nd hand and knew even less about the sky and scopes than I do now. No idea if the scope was any good. Pointed it a bright 'star' low down and centred. Hmm won't quite focus properly. On no - rugby ball shaped star. Must be grotty optics!! Changed for a higher power eyepiece and WOW!!! RINGS!!!

Every time I look at Saturn now, I am reminded of that first wow moment. Then get on to looking for ring shadow, gap, cloud band, etc. Is it really boring now I look for the detail and limits instead of the open mouthed stare? Still a great sight.

At our big public star party at the Antietam Battlefield, a small group of high-school aged girls came up to my scope. "What cha got in your scope, Mister ?" "Oh, the planet Saturn- - you know the one with the rings ." Well, they had never seen Saturn, much less any planet through a scope, so they rather nonchalantly looked into the eyepiece. "Nonchalant" , that is, until one of the girls REALLY noticed the rings! "OMG OMG OMG ! ! ! there are RINGS around that thing ! " "Ohhhh, let me look, let me see !" It was probably a moment that they will never forget. I know I certainly won't forget their reaction !

Jim S.

First time for me too last night, what a memorable sight, and yes it did produce the 'oh my god' reaction from Mrs Polar Bear and our next door neighbour.

Just need to decide on the best way of upping the magnification now.

My Sky-Watcher SK707AZ2 cost me £80.00. It was worth every penny! :D

WOW that's a great viewing of Saturn with this scope... I have a Skywatcher Capricorn... cost me £100 so im guessing im going to have a good view too through mine... going out tomorrow night to view can't wait now as ive not seen Saturn yet myself... :(

Archived