NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Antennae Galaxies second try

Quatermass

Talk about frustrating.. last night second attempt waited all night till 1pm to get imaging it made a start and after only 20 more subs from last night dam it if the clouds didnt move in again arrrrghh

So stacked them and was able to get those faint antennae showing just a bit more, had to work from a very poor .tiff file but managed to come up with something I am reasonably happy with now. Any how just got a call and my Focal reducer for my evostar ed80 is now in so off to get that yepeeee :D

The orrible .tiff file..

Antennae%2520crappy%2520raw%2520tiff%2520file.JPG

And the final image after much work..

Antennae%2520Galaxies%2520second%2520batch%2520master%2520image%2520copy.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, great processing on those murky subs.

Are you using an LP Filter QM ? It would seem helpful for a target like that ?

Hi Badger cheers, no light pollution filter it may be helpful but cant afford one just yet having just chocked out for my focal reducer and stupid me forgot to order the cannon adapter thinking mine would fit and it doesnt so another week of waiting for that to come bah!:D

Nice image there QM but are the diffraction effects on the stars artificial? the tiff shows them in a different orientation and they just look odd to my eye. Not a criticism, just curious.

Yes I put them round the other way as I thought they looked nicer using that starspike pro 2 demo its very cool :D

Very fine job on a really tough target...well done :D

The diffraction spikes just shout 'artificial' though......The trick with adding diff spikes is to make them seem like they're part of the image.

Look at the image and see how crisp (or not) it is....then make your diff spikes the same...on this image the diff spikes are by far the sharpest part, thus giving the game away and detracting from the bit you should be looking at, your excellent capture.

Cheers

Rob

QM I didn't even know this was an 'amateur' target - such is my ignorance!

Also never saw the full view of this one, so thanks for that!

Nicely done! Diff-spikes... hmm... makes this image less captivating perhaps. The very faint distant galaxies should really have centre stage here on this fine image!

I recommend the UHC-S filter. I got mine at a bargain price on UK Astro Buy and Sell. Puts a blue cast on everything which is pretty easy to sort in post-processing.

Your spikes are like marmite, people either love em or hate em : )

Very fine job on a really tough target...well done :D

The diffraction spikes just shout 'artificial' though......The trick with adding diff spikes is to make them seem like they're part of the image.

Look at the image and see how crisp (or not) it is....then make your diff spikes the same...on this image the diff spikes are by far the sharpest part, thus giving the game away and detracting from the bit you should be looking at, your excellent capture.

Cheers

Rob

Thank you Rob

I just took delivery of my focal reducer for my evostar ed80 today so when its up and running there will be some nice images hopefully coming forth, and with out the spikes. I am not really striving for much on my images other then something that looks reasonable from the gear I am working with at present. Ideally later on I will upgrade my mount and camera but unless get luck and find a money tree that will be for a while as yet. I dont know if can live without spikey stars though but it might make a nice change to have rounded ones for a while.. just a while mind..:(

QM I didn't even know this was an 'amateur' target - such is my ignorance!

Also never saw the full view of this one, so thanks for that!

Nicely done! Diff-spikes... hmm... makes this image less captivating perhaps. The very faint distant galaxies should really have centre stage here on this fine image!

Thank you Jessun its a wonderful set of galaxy's you must take a look at them if you can, if I can get a clear run at it I will have another go at processing with out spikes...mybe but Im not promising :D

I recommend the UHC-S filter. I got mine at a bargain price on UK Astro Buy and Sell. Puts a blue cast on everything which is pretty easy to sort in post-processing.

Your spikes are like marmite, people either love em or hate em : )

That must be it mate I love marmite as well, will checkout the LP filter but its pretty good dark skies apart from the low down south area where this little gem sits at the moment. Plan b is a bottle of cider and a pizza if its not clear tonight.

:D

Thats brill considering how low it is here QM, like you say, you do like a challenge!

Getting the focal reducer and maybe the LP filter in the rig and you could start rustling feathers with the top guys.:D

Anyway, it's amazing what people get out from the originals, good stuff!

Thanks for sharing.

Glen

Thats brill considering how low it is here QM, like you say, you do like a challenge!

Getting the focal reducer and maybe the LP filter in the rig and you could start rustling feathers with the top guys.:(

Anyway, it's amazing what people get out from the originals, good stuff!

Thanks for sharing.

Glen

Cheers Glen. Hoping that focal reducer now I have it will prove to be good investment for the future now all I need is clear skies tonight to try it out.. roll in the clouds on que..:D

Now thats interesting, if its clear tonight I might look this up :(

Good capture (and rescue!)

Cheers Uranium

I have got the focal reducer for my evostar ed80 today so hoping to give it a test out if its clear.. if being the right word :D

Archived