Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 200N - What does the 'N' mean?

Hi,

I'm looking at possibly buying a Skywatcher 200N from the internet, I am watching at the moment.

The one thing I am not too sure about is the suffix 'N'. Could anyone tell me what this means and why do all the scopes now come with a 'P' suffix?

Are the 'N' suffix tubes of a lower quality or is it just an old designation that really doesn't mean anything about the quality of the optics etc?

I thought that the 'P' may mean parabolic but I did find that the 200N also has a parabolic primary mirror so it can't be that.

Also is the 200N a good tube? I would like to start to do some DSO astrophotography if I can get a good tube. I don't have a lot of money to spend to please don't tell me I really need a £1000.00+ tube! :) Not unless you want to see me divorced!!! :)

Bryan

I expect the 'N' means Newtonian and the seller doesn't really know what the actual telescope designation is. If you could post a link we could check.

The Explorer 200P is a good scope, but lends itself more towards visual use than imaging because it is very big and has a long focal length so requires a very heavy duty equatorial mount and autoguiding to get really good DSO images.

The mount is far more important than the scope for DSO imaging.

EQ5 and HEQ5 are worlds apart.

The EQ5 is fine for visual use, and with an RA motor, would get you started for imaging but would be really limiting long term if you want to progress. Most people who have tried it for a while would say that even the HEQ5 is not man enough for good images with a 200P. There are plenty of posts from people who have just got an HEQ5 for a 200P saying how great the combo is, but after a while standards creep up and they start to wish they had bought the bigger mount or a smaller scope.

It may well be a misprint...or an import..the skywatcher explorer series is marketed in the USA as 150N...200N etc

for visual use the set-up is hard to beat..great for deep-sky & yet still good on planets..as Robin said...ya can't go far wrong with this...you'll get some good 'snaps' & can be used with a webcam... if you want to go down the long exposure route...you will indeed need a sturdy tripod...heavy-duty mount (with tracking) etc etc & be looking at £1000 +

Why sit in a chair wondering if the 'scope is moving slower than the grass growing or the paint drying...get ya eyeball at the eyepiece & get lost in space...just my 10p worth...

Archived