Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ4 vs portamount II

I've got the stock AZ3 mount and looking at the above two to upgrade, the az4 looks a more robust mount but how does it fair without the slow mo controls.

The porta mount has the slow mo controls but has the similar aluminium tripod.

Any views on both?

I use my az4 with a mak at high power on planets and stuff, and I don't miss slo mos. It's got a very smooth action. I've used a friends mini porta and that's ok, but I prefer the az4.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

I use my az4 with a mak at high power on planets and stuff, and I don't miss slo mos. It's got a very smooth action. I've used a friends mini porta and that's ok, but I prefer the az4.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

That's great, what I wanted to hear as I want to get a mak. What size mak do you fit on it?

I've had my ED120 refractor on my AZ-4 (steel legs) and it's OK up to 150x or so. Thats a longer and heavier tube compared to your scope. Having used a Porta Mount (Mk 1) with my ED102 F/6.5 refractor the AZ-4 is definitely more stable. It's motions are smooth and controllable even at high powers.

I have a AZ4 mount mostly for convenience - it is great to chuck in the back of the car when you know you are going to a good site but don't have the time to set up your regular mount. If you get the tension right - not too tight or too loose - it moves OK once you get the hang of it. It is certainly a sturdy mount and so well worth the money, though not sure I would want it as my only option.

I have an AZ4 and its 2" steel legs make it VERY sturdy with my 4" f/9 frac. Tracking at higher powers is fine once you get used to it and get the clamps the right tightness. It's also great with the tripod adapter it comes with on my pst :)

My AZ4 is smashing with binocs, camera, short tube appo, or solar scope (not all at once though lol). Very positive and smooth when adjusted right, and makes a great grab and go when I don't want to hump the heavier scopes around. Rigid and stable on it's 2" leg tripod :)

I've just bought a Porta II; mainly for use with my Lunt but I also plan to use my 127Mak with it too.

The tripod legs look very similar to the legs on my EQ3-2 (which I assume are the same as on the AZ3) but the tripod feels much more secure. The quality is better. I guess it's how the tripod on the EQ3 should have worked.

However, I haven't yet tried the Mak. I'll try to get out this weekend if the clouds play ball and let you know how I get on.

Andrew

I've just bought a Porta II; mainly for use with my Lunt but I also plan to use my 127Mak with it too.

The tripod legs look very similar to the legs on my EQ3-2 (which I assume are the same as on the AZ3) but the tripod feels much more secure. The quality is better. I guess it's how the tripod on the EQ3 should have worked.

However, I haven't yet tried the Mak. I'll try to get out this weekend if the clouds play ball and let you know how I get on.

Andrew

Great thanks, it's 50/50 between both mounts at min for me. Reason I like ports mount is you can fit a wooden tripod. Bit sad but a wooden tripod and a refractor just looks right!

Great thanks, it's 50/50 between both mounts at min for me. Reason I like ports mount is you can fit a wooden tripod. Bit sad but a wooden tripod and a refractor just looks right!

The AZ-4 can be fitted to any tripod that is EQ5 / CG5 / HEQ5 compatible so things like a Berlebach would be fine too.

I love the AZ4

It's the 3 legged version of a Dob to me...Just push/pull to your target

Simples :)

Tried it with a 3" apo and 6" Mak and that's about the limit I would go.

The ED120 was ok on it but did jitter at higher mags.

I've just bought a 180 Mak so I've now got a Skytee2 which is sturdier but a little heavier.

I love the Skytee2 but the simplicity of the AZ4 is unbeatable.

Great mount

I think the AZ4 is good for Maks, however, I am a great fan of the Porta II, a very sturdy mount and love the slo-mo controls, heard the control arm on the AZ4 is not very good, but I have not owned one. My vote is for the Porta II.

Archived