Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FED UP.

So ive spent ages trying to get my stuff to work all on one laptop, i have mounted a USB hub to my tripod and used an Active USB2.0 extension lead into my shed for a bit of warmth and save on setup time.

Everything works ok apart from my 350D. Tried alsorts with no luck, im really pulling my hair out and fed up with faffing about! lol

On my laptop, the USB2.0 cable isnt recognised, nor is my lifecam. On my main (work pc) the 350D wont work, but lifecam/mount is great. On my shed PC, everything works apart from my 350D, so im sure you can see my frustration. Its hard work and no REAL reason as to why it wont work....

Just having a rant more than anything and a heads up on some equipment that may be for sale on A&BS.....(thats a threat to my gear more than anything lol!)

Anyways, any suggestions would be great. Does anyone else run a USB hub off of 1 cable extension? Did you have problems at all?

Many thanks! :)

Suggestions.... mmmmmm...I think you did not start this interest because it was easy but instead because it was hard..... You feel frustrated now but that only hightens the elation you will feel later when you finaly make it work.....

Patience my Padawan.....

And if all else fails sell me your kit supper cheep LMAO.

Hope things get better :):):)

Its not quite that simple.

I dont forsee any fix for the problems i have, or at least to a level that i would be happy with without having to fork out more money.

The lifecam as a guide camera is a real bad idea, lol for me anyways, i cant find any stars and the drivers that i managed to get working only support 170x133 resolution videos, so as a guidecam, trying to focus on a guide star is pointless and a real waste of time with such bad resolution.

The 350D wont work with my extension which would mean using a laptop for my 350D and the shed PC for guiding, defeats the object really, and the laptop that does work well with the 350D wont run the lifecam.

So, i really am at the end of my tether i have to admit and im really ready to give up before ive even started. Surely it cant be that difficult, 3 machines and not 1 of them will run everything i need it to run! lol

I dont even know where to start trying to fix this....im just banging my head against a wall.....

Hi there, I use 2 powered 4 port hubs, each with a 5 meter usb cable going to the laptop. One of the hubs run the mount and guide cam and the other runs the DSLR.

I have at one time connected a webcam to the hub with the dslr and started having problems with the dslr not connecting.

I put this down to being sold the 5 meter usb cables as usb2 but they dont seem to handle the data traffic so they are probably usb1.

I have found that keeping the imaging cam on a separate usb from the guide cam the best result for trouble free use.

Hope this helps.

I use separate USB cables and ports for imaging cameras having had problems trying to use a hub. Other things with low data rates such as mount control run through the hub. So I'm now using all 3 USB ports on my netbook.

I couldn't get a MS LifeCam Cinema webcam to work as a guide camera - no stars to be seen! So I bit the bullet and bought a QHY5 - HUGE difference - lots of stars to guide on :)

Hi Eddy

USB is a hub device and this mean all the devices share the bandwidth of that port when you plug multiple devices in they also share 5v @ 500ma. You can get round this by using a powered hub for all the low bandwidth devices keeping them on one port And put imaging devices on seperate ports. One last thing ports next to each other are usually on the same USB hub so they are sharing the same controller to start with.

Use short cables for testing purposes also.

Hope this helps.

Paul

sent from my Nexus One

Hi guys thanks for all the comments.

Everything works ok when plugged into the PC so i presume its down to the cables.

I have a 5m active usb cable and a 4 port hub (dont think this is powered)

So ill keep that for the mount and remote shutter, then try the 2 cameras off a powered hub, think that would work out ok?

i'll just add my setup too,

i use a 10m active usb lead to a powered usb hub, and then from there i use 2m leads to connect to mount, 450D and qhy5. it can be a bit temperamental, but i think this is more down to my laptop being rubbish, it really needs upgrading.

i tried to use 3m leads from the hub, and things started to go wrong, so it just goes to show the leads can be a big factor when you're stretching everything off of 1 usb port on the laptop. I plan to get an extra active lead dedicated to the 450D and leave the mount and guide cam connected to the hub.

I have a usb hub, it doesnt say USB2.0 has no power lead, just 4 usb ports and a usb connector that goes to the USB lead - Computer.

Would i be right in saying that a) This is only USB1 and :o NOT POWERED? :)

Hope not anyway, im off to maplin soon to pick up a few more cables and hubs hopefully sort out the issues :)

Ok so £50 at maplins, everything works ok now! Thank god! lol i managed to run guide camera, 350D + Shutter all off 1 powered hub, and then the mount off another hub :) Thanks for input guys :)

Seems like i need to plug things in, then power the hub up to get it all to work but now its working i need to re-assemble (stick) everything back to my mount, then give it another test, then its a case of field testing it! :o

Thanks again all, ive now got some more patience back lol

I have a d-link 7 port hub on my mount which connects back to my PC via 2 5m active USB cables. I don't have any issues.

Make sure you power the USB hub at the mount and disable all power management features in device manager for the hub and active USB cables. The later appear as a hub too.

Suggestions.... mmmmmm...I think you did not start this interest because it was easy but instead because it was hard..... You feel frustrated now but that only hightens the elation you will feel later when you finaly make it work.....

Patience my Padawan.....

And if all else fails sell me your kit supper cheep LMAO.

Hope things get better :):):)

The force is strong in this one I feel....... You did well and Patience was learned :o

blumming ****** dise this meen I dont get your kit supper cheep :)

well done and keep us posted especially with your pics :D:):)

Archived