Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Betelgeuse

Ganymede12

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed so. I don't think Patrick Moore will send the astronomy police around for a visit if you get it wrong. They're too busy dealing with idiots who don't know the difference between astronomy and astrology anyhow.

James

The coolest thing about Betelgeuse is how absolutely enormous it is. If it was in our solar system it would be bigger than the orbit of Saturn.

I bet that would be impressive through a PST from 93 million miles...

given it is about 650 light years away, we'll know when it happens (or happened 650 years before we see it) for sure but we won't know until it does. I understand it will be as big and bright as a full moon and visible in the day - we won't miss it.

Earth to get second sun for couple days Betelgeuse to be second sun for Earth as supernova turns night into day | Mail Online

thats what i read and yes sure i heard it on SGL also could happen anytime

Bet-ler-geeze is another one I've heard, but Beetle-juice is how I say it.

Or "that bright red one up there, no left a bit, up a bit, there!" :)

Cheers

Ian

Whilst pointing really really hard! THAT one! :)

Before I left for a field last night I set up in my garden for a small amount of time just to have a scan of the skies and I ended up at Betelgeuse when my mum came out to have a look.

Then I see on Facebook "Just had a look at planet Beetlejuice!"

It made for a nice giggle before I educated her.

Archived