NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My cheap and cheerful 3" diy dobson

Lux1

I have just put completed a cheap and cheerful 3" f10 newtonion telescope and have mounted it on a Dobsonion base. I purchased the primary and secondary mirrors form astroboot for £7 and made a simple secondary spider with 3 x M3 50mm machine screws. The focuser is a plastic 1.25 plumbing union. The OTA is a length of drainpipe.

It will still need to be painted and made a bit neater.

The base held my 130 heritage, I have remounted the optics in a new ota and mounted the assembly on a GOTO mount. This seemed like a good way to reuse the old mount for nights when I just can't be bothered to set and align the skyscan....:icon_salut:

Below is a afocal image of the moon taken with the 'scope.

post-20202-133877758385_thumb.jpg

post-20202-133877758393_thumb.jpg

post-20202-133877758401_thumb.jpg

Lux that is pretty neat.

I like the blue peter use of materials.

Good grounding and experience for when you put together that 20 inch monster scope. lol

If this is anything to go by...

Cracking shot :icon_salut: and for what 40 quid max bar the mount? Cricky a 20 incher lol..

Loving the make do/ will do theme :hello2:more people like you I say. Bring back old school make do FTW:icon_salut:

Nice. Really nice.

I've a lot of respect for anyone who has a go at building their own anything. A working telescope is voodoo to me.

My toolbox in total contains six hammers in sizes from Pin to Percy. So you can see my level of DIY.

Cheers

Ian

No, no, "Pin" is for her indoors for something? right up to "Percy" sledge when it absolutely, positively must be mangled beyond recognition. :icon_salut:

Seriously though, one day I would love to learn how to make my own telescope.

Cheers

Ian

Ha,

Today I learned ..:icon_salut:

I think it's in us all to have a go (mirror making:rolleyes::D)

Same here too though, often browsing over galve optics site thinking of a small mirror set to make with a yoke bearing, GOTO and ..and.. sigh one day.

Kudos to those that do.

My toolbox in total contains six hammers in sizes from Pin to Percy.

I only have one hammer, only the length of run-up changes... :icon_salut:

Seriously though, i'm considering building a little dob like this, maybe to donate to some lucky kid or something. Seen on astroboot a small mirror set for £9 or so... All in it'd probably cost £20 to build a little 76mm F9. Great for moons/planets.

The only thing i'm struggling on is the focuser... i don't like the idea of the slide tube style, but then i'v never tried using one.

No, no, "Pin" is for her indoors for something? right up to "Percy" sledge when it absolutely, positively must be mangled beyond recognition. :icon_salut:

For those *really* serious jobs, we have both an 8lb and a 12lb Percy.

James

Archived