Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

anyone collect meteroites

richbyers

I used to. I built up a number of collections in the past then sold them on. I've never actually found a meteorite specimen of my own though - just bought / traded from other collectors / dealers aound the world. Finds are so rare in the UK I'd be waiting a lifetime to find my 1st sample I reckon !.

I don't think that was a meteorite that she found - and the experts don't think so either from other reports I've read. To prove extra-terrestrial origin you need a full lab analysis which has yet to be done on that one I believe. If it did turn out to be a meteorite then it's value is likely to be, literally, astronomical. A 1 gram (little fingernail size) fragment of the Barwell Meteorite costs around $100 on the open market.

Sikhote-Alin was a great fall and an excellent iron specimen to own :icon_salut:

I collected some micro meteorites from my gutter. :-) After a long dry spell I collected a large amount of the rubbish from my gutter. Washed it thoroughly then dried it. Then I used a magnet to separate the micro meteorites - only iron ones obviously. I now have a small jar of them that I sometimes amuse myself by showing people the magnetic properties of what looks like fine dirt. :-D

I have some, nothing of great note but every now and then I'll add to the collection.

I have more than what's in that pic too. I have been threatening to take some better photographs of them too.

post-21042-133877758437_thumb.jpg

I know there are plenty advertised on Ebay but I'm not sure of the authenticity. Perhaps someone with better knowledge on here could give some advice of what to look out for? I know Astronomy Now did a good article about it last year with the 'Meteorite Men'.

I know there are plenty advertised on Ebay but I'm not sure of the authenticity....

I've bought dozens of specimens through e.bay over the years from dealers all around the world. The IMCA registration is a key criteria but you soon get to know the good dealers such as the Hupe brothers, Geoff Notkin, Anne Black, Mike Farmer etc,. I've bought a few times from UK dealers but I found their pricing a little on the high side and there is no import duty on mineral specimens :icon_salut:

Archived