Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces with good eye relief

The Celestron X-Cel LX's get good feedback. Their eye relief is 16mm and they cost around £70 each.

They don't have a 32mm though so you might want to look at something like a 32mm Panaview for that.

Are the hyperions any good?

They are great in scopes of F/7 or slower. In faster ones (I see yours is F/5) they show quite a lot of astigmatism in the outer 25% of the field of view. I believe the X-Cel LX's are better in this respect than the Hyperions but even they won't be perfect in an F/5 scope.

• 1 month later...

Hi steve, how did you get on with buying new lenses, looking to buy some for my skywatcher st f5 150 refractor, I brought it second hand and it came with the 2 basic 25mm & 10mm and also a 9mm X-cel LX which i'm not very impressed with, so looking to get some good quality lenses that are good for f5's, not having much look on searching the net for info. Some 1 mentioned bst explorers any 1 else tried these. They dont seem to exspensive but like your self I dont mind spending up to 100.

May not help, but on my f10 the LXs work a dream. They have an excellence of clarity, sharpness and contrast; there is no ghosting, distortion, internal glare or loss of image at the edges. The twist-up eyecup is designed for comfort, and it works. It has no effect on the eyepiece itself, but simply means you can swiftly adjust it to your own comfort zone and is so much more preferable to the flip-up eyecup of say, the Hyperion, or the fixed and static eyecup of a Plossl.

Archived