Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to see solar prominences

...without a PST (saving for one)

I have the Baader film for my Konus 90 and some on the way for the C9.25 so have had some nice solar views today although i only found 1 sunspot. not sure if that was me or it was just quiet day up there.

I have also just purchased the continuum filter

First Light Optics - Baader Solar Continuum Filter

which gave some better contrast (albeit in green).

So now I'd like to see some flares/proms or what ever people prefer to call them.

Can this be done with a filter?

Or is it simply not possible without a pst?

Thanks,

Justin

I had the same, I also use the solar film and the continuum filter, to be honest i was expecting to see some "action" but sadly no, I have been told to see these solar flares you need quite expensive filters etc, I wish I knew this before I spent £50 on the continuum filter.

Kev.

Thank you both, it's the answer I expected not the answer I wanted :-) but at least I can stop worrying about it and focus on saving up for the Coronado.

Do either of you happen to know where there's a good Solar imaging tutorial i could find one here on SGL?

I ask because the images I've got today are quite frankly disappointing and like so many of us in the UK I am getting better daytime 'seeing' at the moment and might as well make good use of the solar film and continuum filter while I wait for Lloyds to pay for my PST :-)

Thanks,

Justin

You do need a dedicated Ha scolar scope for proms, flares, coronal mass ejections etc. At entry level there's the Lunt 35 or PST.

A webcam or super-webcam like the DMKs is the camera to use and free software like Registax for stacking and sharpening.

Olly

You can check for sunspot activity ( all you will see in "white light") on SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids and you can get some good images by using registax. I quite like identifying the sunspots and collecting images of the different groups.

it's the answer I expected not the answer I wanted

when i saw your question (which is one i was going to ask) and saw the replies i thought the same... i havent got over the financial shock of muying my scope yet so a pst is a way of for me...

Justin,

It is possible to use the Ha etalon filter from the PST and mount it with an additional energy rejection filter (ERF) in a much larger donor telescope. This gives much better resolution and light grasp.

There are examples of "Modded PST's" up to 150mm aperture!

(I have a detailed write-up available - just drop me an email address for a copy)

Archived