NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Transit of Venus - Help me with a Location

SeedyF

Folks - I want to be able to see at least part of the transit this June. I can't justify the cost of an expensive trip (2 weeks in the Maldives in April doesn't help). So I plan to see it from the UK and I am thinking the east coast will give me the most chance of an unobstructed horizon.

I have been looking into potential, favourable locations within easy reach of Hertfordshire - I focused on the Essex and Kent coast. I have identified two with the aide of Google Maps :). I have two questions;

1. Is anyone familiar with the locations below
  2. Is anyone else planning to use the same sites or interested in joining me?

Location 1 - The Captain Digby Inn, Whiteness Rd, Broadstairs

This site is slightly elevated and right on the beach front. It has a large car park as well as a beer terrace that is on the seaward side. If I plump for this location I intend to contact the pub in advance so I don't run into any problems on the day.

Location 2 - Broadstairs Marina

This site is also right on the sea edge - it's pretty much essential for a marina :) There is parking, hardstanding for the scope and a good view of the eastern horizon.

So - anybody have any knowledge of these spots? If anyone has any other sensible suggestions on the Essex or Kent coast I'm interested to know as well.

post-21583-133877751656_thumb.jpg

post-21583-133877751661_thumb.jpg

I don't think you have to travel far. And of course it will be daylight, so LP won't be an issue! :)

Most important, and mainly dependent on luck, will be to have a clear and mist-free view of the horizon in the appropriate direction. It doesn't really matter whether it's over land or over sea.

On the morning in question (6th June), the Sun's (and Venus') azimuth at sunrise will be about 52° - that is, about a point NE by E. So, if you have an accurate compass, search around (before the date!) for locations in your neighbourhood which give you a clear view of the horizon in exactly that direction.

And good luck!

Note: sunrise will be at about 04:50 BST, but you probably knew that already.

Thanks for the advice Pete.

The maximum elevation before the transit finishes is 8 degrees, that won't even clear my fence. So I wanted to get away from trees and buildings mainly - hence the selection of the coast. I do have a disused airfield not too far away that is on top of a hill which I have been considering, access would be the biggest issue there though.

My wife and I are thoroughly prepared to be disappointed by the weather so we might turn it into a mini holiday so that it's not all lost. If its cloudy we'll enjoy some nice coastal walks :)

Yes, sound reasoning: if anyone is planning to travel for an astro event, it's as well to have a fallback 'just in case'. Back in 1999 we went to France for the eclipse, reasoning that even if we missed out on the Big Day, at least we got a week of sightseeing around Paris and Versailles. As it turned out, the Big Day was a wash-out :), so all we were left with was the fallback.

Hope you guys have better luck.

Hmm, anyone know if it will be visible from the vale of Pickering? I could go to the top of a hill but with hills in every direction I might not see it. (Scarborough is the nearest place with a clear view of the horizon, I think, but I didn't want to have to drive that far at 4am!)

Just to clear up this point: from the whole of the British Isles it will be possible to see the transit at sunrise and for a short period after. The best areas, in terms of transit time available, will be North-East England and Scotland, the worst will be SW Ireland and Cornwall.

From nowhere in Europe (except the far north of Scandinavia) will you be able to see the entire transit from start to finish. For that you will have to be in the Asia-Pacific region, a small part of North America, or the Arctic.

Personally I don't know where I'll be at the time but I'm not making any special plans. If I'm at home and the weather looks promising, I might get up early and pop up to the South Downs to get a clear view.

• 1 month later...

Hi SeedyF

I'm new to the lounge but I found your request about your possible trip to Broadstairs to view the Transit. Not been myself though based near Dartford and a long time member of Crayford Astronomy Society. There will be a group of us heading to Joss Bay just down the road from the Digby Inn, if your still going then your welcome to join some fellow solar watchers :hello2:

HonorC

What I can tell you, indeed guarantee you, is that it will be cloudy. 100% certain. Its the nature of the beast ! Indeed, to make it even worse, it will be cear the two weeks prior to the transit, the two weeks after, but transit day will be wet !

Happy soul aren't I !!! :hello2:

As far north and east as you can get for maximum viewing time would be a good idea.

I'm looking at a short break on the North Norfolk coast, say around Holt.

This way, if clouded out, at least a good part of the country for for chilling out :hello2:

Cheers

Ian

I've had a scoot round the coast near me on Google Earth and pinged the most likely looking sites I could find. Going to take a mini roadtrip next weekend and checkout properly , last thing I want is to get set-up ready in the dark only be confronted with a sea of windfarm jobbies blocking the view .

I'll update my findings here upon return for anyone that's interested.

4.jpg

I picked dark looking sites as will no doubt be there for a while before sunrise.

P.S Maps a bit squiffy to get all the pins in shot !

Jonathan - this link will tell you times and elevation of the sun for any location.

Local transit times | Venustransit

I'm still hoping that someone who knows BROADSTAIRS will know about the two suggested sites above :hello2:

I would suggest contacting the Local Astronomical Society. You can find a list of societies and contact details at:

http://fedastro.org.uk/fas/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=89

I've an excellent NE horizon from our 1st floor bedroom window and will view from there via my H-alpha PST through double glazing - weather permitting and if not back to bed :) Yes - through double glazing works fine :hello2:

Archived