Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Small Budget Apo Suggestions.

Anyone any experience with this little scope?

Astro Professional ED 80/560mm - 2' Crayford MIKRO - DELUXE

The focuser is the same as on the Lyra Optic f11 that I owned so I know that much is good but what about the optics?

I'm not in a position to buy yet but thought I'd start some research anyhow. I want to be able to mount it on a camera tripod and its primarily for mega widefield views.

Any other options in this sort of price bracket welcome.

My ED120 has the same focuser fitted (William Optics branded though) and it's not bad, as crayfords go. Optically, the only ED's I've owned have been Skywatcher ED80's which have been excellently corrected for CA but their overall fit and finish are not as polished as the Telescope Services one. You used to be able to buy the ED80's for under £200 used. Don't know if thats still true :)

I have used the Astro-Professional ED80 doublet. I liked it a lot and found it to be very well made. I believe that the FPL-51 optics are the same as the Ikharos 80ED and the Starwave 80ED.

Great for visual use, although for imaging I think that the SkyWatcher 80ED would be a bit better. For visual I doubt that you would be able to tell any difference.

John

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Any thoughts on this one...

Starwave 80 ED Refractor Telescope*::*Refractor telescopes*::*Telescopes*::*Altair Astro

I should have stated in original post that whatever I go for will be for purely visual observation. As much as I admire the wonderful images posted by the experienced imager's on here I have neither the patience or the funds to even consider going down that road :)

I am even considering a decent set of bins, something like these in 20x90mm...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/helios/helios-quantum-4-binoculars.html

The only thing that worries me with the bins is that when viewing high in the sky would it be neck and back breaking?

I think for visual there wouldn't be much point buying one with slightly better glass, thats mainly for photographical gains. The astro professional one looks nice, but I am not sure I would like to use heavy eyepieces and a diagonal on just a camera tripod fitting.

It has crossed my mind Adam about the weight and to be honest I think something like a used AZ4 would be more suitable and just as cheap as a decent camera tripod.

This may be a silly question so please forgive my ignorance!

When using bins, say for example a pair of 10x50mm, because I am viewing with both eyes is this equal in light gathering terms to a 100mm scope, or am I just mad?

Archived