SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

bright supernova in Virgo

nytecam

My pic from tonight below [data on image] of new bright SN2012au in NGC 4790 @ ~m12.8 @ R.A. = 12h54m52s.18, Decl. = -10°14'50".2 ;)

The gxy west of Spica Vir: Saturn ~same distance east of Spica and should be visible through moderate scope. Pic taken through bare tree branches - couldn't wait 2hrs for it to emerge:rolleyes:

post-33671-133877749301_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just a little too much light pollution in that direction to get down to mag 12/13 so no joy on this one tonight for me.

It's a clear night here tonight but the seeing is not too steady - Saturn was all over the place, fine one second, almost a blur the next !.

I took a few images late on with the 1100d I don't expect much from them as the LP was bad but will process later when I've had some sleep, see there is one also in m95 that's getting brighter. I need a LP filter badly......

Yep - I think I've spotted the M95 SN ;)

I'm using my 10" newtonian and the 8mm Ethos eyepiece. It looks around mag 12.5 or so just now I reckon.

I'm using the 10" newtonian view on this web page as a finder chart (the pic below the photo):

Another bright supernova goes boom in M95 near Mars | Astro Bob

The SN looks to me around the same brightness as the mag 12.5 star to the east of M95.

My 6th supernova ;)

Edit: After further observation I'd revise my brightness estimate for the SN down a bit - mag 12.8 perhaps ?. It's proving just a little harder to see than the mag 12.5 star.

Well done Michael ;)

With Mars not so far away I was a little surprised that this one was not harder to spot ;)

Not complaining though - I wonder if it will brighten further ? :p

Let's hope so. So this went boom 38 milion years ago? :o;) great shots!

Let's hope so. So this went boom 38 milion years ago? :o

Yes, I believe so as thats the distance in light years that M95 is from us.

Apparently, as a Type II supernova, this would have happened within minutes ;)

Somebody, somewhere in Messier 95 was having a bad time 38 million years ago ;)

Didn't get to see the M95 SN from Denbies Field/ Ranmore Common [surrey] last night although plenty of scopes in 8"-10" range and folk to manage them - high cirrus troublesome:D

Plenty of interest in planets Venus, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn and got a quick peep on each ;)

My 3min SN snap via 12" from home after dusk before meeting [below] ;)

post-33671-133877750012_thumb.jpg

At dusk on Tuesday March 19 I first targetted the SN in M95 - this is my 12" scope's first 'centring' snap in a 1sec exp loop that clearly shows SN and stars to ~m14.9 [sloan DSS] :)

It shows the SN [now designated SN2012aw] had brightened rapidly since discovery ;) - no chance last night due to cloud :)

Hope you're trying for a view when clear ;)

post-33671-133877750604_thumb.jpg

I'm not the best navigator in the solar system, but isn't M95 in Leo :), see goto's are like satnav's if you don't keep an eye on them they'll take you in the wrong direction and lead you up a blind ally.

ngc4790a.jpgngc4790a.jpg

ngc4790.jpg

Nice to see a pick of the other SN in the sky, I hope to get it this evening or tomorrow evening (fading at the moment, but might still be in range).

I observed both supernovae (SN2012au in Virgo, SN2012aw in Leo) last night with my 12" at a dark site (SQ 21.5).

Easiest was certainly SN2012aw in M95, though my view was slightly marred by visible scattered light from Mars (must remember to give my optics a spring clean!). The central bar of M95 was clearly visible, and a substantial part of the halo, though the supernova (easily seen with direct vision) appeared detached from the halo.

SN2012au (in NGC 4790, Virgo) is lower in the sky, and there was a certain amount of haze in the air which made things harder. The host galaxy is quite faint though it was clearly visible in the 12" at x250, with a "star" easily seen at the centre (whenever the air was clear enough). My question was whether I was seeing the galaxy's own nucleus, or the supernova, or both. The discovery image shows the SN so close to the central condensation that the two are almost indistinguishable.

I therefore gave this one quite a lot of time, trying to establish whether the central "star" was actually double. In fleeting moments I felt that it was, but I wasn't convinced.

I subsequently checked a couple of visual descriptions of the host galaxy (Herschel; Luginbuhl and Skiff): neither mention a stellar nucleus. Photographs such as DSS are too burned out to tell, but I get the impression that a stellar nucleus is not normally visible in the galaxy, hence what I saw was the supernova. Certainly, all the sites I've seen say that the "star" visible at the centre of 4790 is the SN - but I don't believe everything I read on websites and wanted to make sure for myself.:)

Congratulations on that! I am going to give both a go this evening. I have only an 8" but it should be possible.

Good luck with it. NGC 4790 will be a challenge with the 8", I think, but the SN itself should be visible if you get good enough conditions. There's a star nearby to the North-West (about 5 arcminutes, probably around mag 11) shown on the DSS image and I expect it's marked on TriAtlas C. That would be your marker for the supernova, even if the galaxy itself isn't visible. Hope the weather's kind to you.

Archived