Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trying to find saturn

It's only recently that I've seen it around 11pm, but it's still quite low. Great to see as it's so distinctive, but at the moment not the planet of choice for those of us with kids that get you up at five in the morning!

It's only recently that I've seen it around 11pm, but it's still quite low. Great to see as it's so distinctive, but at the moment not the planet of choice for those of us with kids that get you up at five in the morning!

Get them up at 1 in the morning ... let them have a look, they'll love it and probably lay in a bit tomorrow

Best thing to look for is both the direction that Mars appears in earlier in the night, as Saturn later comes that way too, and it's always at the same level and remains close to the star Spica - like castor and pollux but side-by-side parallel to the horizon. And as mentioned above, Stellarium is a usefull tool for finding times and positions of objects in all directions for planning your viewing.

Goodluck, it'll be worth the wait.

It'll be a little higher in the sky a little earlier in the evening over the next couple of months.

I don't for a moment doubt you, but how do you know? I was trying to work it out last night (well, early this morning, really) when I was pondering why imaging Saturn seems to be quite hard work at the moment and I couldn't come to a decision I had faith in.

James

James you can fast forward in Stellarium and a few other planetaria. I also keep abreast of astro news and announcements for longer projections.

In skyviewcafe there's a bit that shows the angle of saturns rings as they open and close if you fast forward far enough ahead ;)

Archived