Anti vibration pads.

Hi,

I'm looking to improve the stability of my EQ3-2 mount, I've read filling the lower legs with sand (can't find the original to this thought, a link would be appreciated)

I also want to add some anti vibration pads, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

J

I had looked at the Celestron ones but the price of them put me off a little so I haven't done anything about it. Word is that they do actually work though.

I couldn't agree more!! When I first looked at the price of the Celestron ones I thought it must be a misprint - but no. At less than £20 these must be worth a punt

An expert imager I met at Kelling was adamant they make a big improvement to imaging - the reduction in vibration is apparently quite marked :)

I agree with this, though I'm not an imager. I have the Meade ones and they make a noticeable difference to the dampening time for vibrations. This is especially useful when observing at high power. They don't stop vibrations but the time it takes for the to die away really is accelerated.

I was dubious about them too - until I tried them :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered some of the Ebay ones. Yep at less than £20 they are certainly worth a go. Judging by the good comments on this thread they should help. The wobble that I get (especially when changing direction with the goto) does get rather irritating after a while. maybe I should put a heavy weight on the acessories tray as well? (I keep my eyepieces on it at the mo, but I have a box that I hold all my bits and bobs in currently, so I can free up the tray on the tripod for a heavy weight). With the 127 SLT having a lightweight tripod you only have to breathe on it and it starts to go. A nice heavy bag of sand should sort it out. And with the addition of the anti vibration pads hopefully it will reduce if not cure the problem.

As Skybrowser said, the moment you put the word astro on a product the price goes through the roof.

Thanks to you all for putting me onto these Ebay ones........

I've seen a big improvement with the eBay AV pads and sand filled legs, still a bit of a wobble when I move focus but this goes in mere seconds unlike before. TBH it's probably has the same damp time now as my mates EQ5.......... With out having to stand on a box :0)

Just recieved a set of the Ebay Skywatcher ones today. Will be getting the scope set up with them over the coming days (weather permitting) with a bag of sand on the tripod tray to see how well they fair. From all the positive comments they should be money well spent. I just couldn't pay £50 for the Celestron ones. Totally overpriced. I guess it is economies of scale at the end of the day. If they don't sell that many then the price remains high. If they were a good seller then logic would suggest that the price would come down to a more sensible level.

Archived