Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focusing

I managed to get a few hours out on Saturday night, took some images of M57 that I was quite pleased with but struggled with everything else!

Once the moon came up I thought I would do some really high magnification imaging with my 350D and ED80. It looks great on the camera screen and I thought I had the focus nailed but once I got in and put them on the computer, they are all pretty soft on the focus...

How can I fix this? So that I have perfect focus without relying on the SLR screen which is too small to tell if your slightly out of focus?

Thanks,

Grant

You can zoom right in on the preview screen - did you do that!

Failing that, you any find that you acheived the best for that night - don't foget that you are comparing a single frame against what you mind is telling you is possible from poeple that will be taking multiple images and stacking them.

Failing that, use the sharpen in PS :wink:

Ant

Heres a couple:

603_normal.jpeg

597_normal.jpeg

I'm a little disappointed to be honest because the detail in them looks awesome, its just the focus!!

Would ie be easier to focus by having the laptop hooked up to the slr?

It is a little soft. But it's probably down to atmospherics and it being a single frame!

Also you have enlarged that image to show the individual pixels... I wonder if you are asking a little too much...?

Ant

Focusing a DSLR is very much to do with incantations in my experience, and having the slowest possible f/ ratio 'scope.

Focusing on a star using a Hartman mask is one way of getting close, but software (as you're using a Canon) like DSLRFocus should help as well.

Best of luck for future images.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Ant, that image isn't enlarged at all, its effectively the raw captured jpg, I tweaked the levels a tiny bit but nothing else.... you could be right about atmespherics though, its annoying because it looked so good through the viewfinder!

That looks pretty cool Geppetto! Will be interested to hear how you get on with it, might be worth a purchase :cool:

Cheers KK, I think I will have a play with dslrfocus :wink:

Thanks all,

Grant

Grant,

I find focussing my DSLR a real pain and I tried all sorts of ruses to resolve the problem. The following article on my website may be of interest as I have essentially resolved the problem but you do need a laptop PC with you.

http://home2.btconnect.com/astro-site/digital_slr_focus.htm

Hi Steve

I think I would need the same solution for focusing. Could you please advice me where to get that serial cable from?

Martin :D

I think I would need the same solution for focusing. Could you please advice me where to get that serial cable from?

Martin

Martin, if you send me your direct email address, I will send you instructions on how to make your own cable, which is what I had to do!

Martin,

If I remember correctly you're using a Canon EOS camera? You can run DSLR focus just using a USB cable for anything up to a 30sec exposure - it's just for anything longer you need to use the serial cable. If you're not comfortable making your own up, Andy Ellis can supply you with one (http://www.astronomiser.co.uk).

Cheers,

Peonic

Archived