Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

is the Celstron Xcel LX 25mm a worthwhile upgrade

I know the price increase of these lens is iminant but just wondered whether anyone has any views on whether this lens is a worthwhile upgrade over the stock 25mm lens that came with the Skywatcher Skyliner 200p.

To be honest I quite like the one that came with the scope so would appreciate any opinion on this before I push the button (or the price hike arrives) - is it a worthwhile upgrade or not? :)

I have only heard positive things regarding the whole x cel lx series. So I would think it would beat the supplied ep hands down. I was close to purchasing the 7mm one, but in the end went for the 8mm BST starguider/ explorer. I dont think you would regret going for the X cel LX.

you wont be dissapointed I have th 25mm and it is a great lens compared to the standard ones that come with the scope - got mine for £40 from the US though so was a bit of a no brainer at the time - just wish i had bought a couple of other sizes at that price when i had the chance

you wont be dissapointed I have th 25mm and it is a great lens compared to the standard ones that come with the scope - got mine for £40 from the US though so was a bit of a no brainer at the time - just wish i had bought a couple of other sizes at that price when i had the chance

Worth looking at Agena Astro in US, good service and low postage rates. Always been happy with them. Also try Hands On Optics, ask for delivered price. Got a terrific deal earlier in year from them on Explore Scientific. The ESs have gone up in price though recently.

Bart

Worth looking at Agena Astro in US, good service and low postage rates. Always been happy with them. Also try Hands On Optics, ask for delivered price. Got a terrific deal earlier in year from them on Explore Scientific. The ESs have gone up in price though recently.

Bart

If you end up paying VAT it's not so good though

If you end up paying VAT it's not so good though

Tribal Wolf, I agree. It just seems our Irish Customs guys must pity us Astronomers 'cos they've NEVER picked on me. Your lads do seem more diligent!

You can get the LXs delivered to UK for about $75 from Agena if you use the coupon number Mar125, you lads can do your sums and add your VAT to see if its worthwhile.

Good luck

Bart

i have the 8mm and 18mm BST's and i dont see too much in it between them but i do prefer the xcel - just seems a touch sharper but that could be because im not comparing the same size eyepieces. as for weigh they are chunky beasts and a tad heaveier and slightly bigger all round than the BST's

I have an8mm bst and a 12mm celestron xcel. Both are good lens giving a much bigger fov than the standard ep's. Also they have a bigger lens to look through instead of the usual pinhole. They are also heavy, but are they worth the cost? It depends if you have plenty of cash to spare as the improvement is not that great apart from the fov. The image through the ep is not a thousand times better. I bought a sw 32mm for £20 and that is a great lens.

I have an8mm bst and a 12mm celestron xcel. Both are good lens giving a much bigger fov than the standard ep's. Also they have a bigger lens to look through instead of the usual pinhole. They are also heavy, but are they worth the cost? It depends if you have plenty of cash to spare as the improvement is not that great apart from the fov. The image through the ep is not a thousand times better. I bought a sw 32mm for £20 and that is a great lens.

I second that. I've got an 8mm BST waiting for good weather and the celestron lens & filter collection for 100£, including a 32mm EP. This is my most used EP on a 5"mak.

Archived