Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro weight/balance

Hi

I have a HEQ5 Pro mount that came with my 200pds. I have recentley purchased an opticstar short tube refractor 3-4kgs in weight. Problem is this has thrown my balance right out. I was going to purchase an extension shaft to allow the weights to be further away hopefully allowing me to balance it. Trouble is they are like goldust at the moment really hard to get. The only option for me is to add another counterbalance to the mount. The weight on the scope side of things minus the heavy dslr is 12kgs so im only 2kgs ish off. Im not sure what counterbalance weights fit the heq5 pro other than the heq5 pro ones, these only come in 5kg, ideally 3kg is better and putting less stress on the mount. So in short, does anyone know what counterbalance weights fit this mount and secondly if anyone knows where i could possiby purchase an extension shaft i would love to know.

Thankyou again

Rich

Thanks peeps, ive been trying too get in touch with FLO all day but no luck, just sent an email. I will certainly have a look at Tescos, I have some weights here but they are a bit to heavy for the mount unfortunately. I have had so many conversations on which route is better but each time I call someone i get the opposing answer, I would prefer the extension as it doesnt mean lugging around an extra weight, but my guess is really they are the same. Though someone did say if i extended the shaft it would be putting extra force on the motors but its probably cos im a bit thick, it doesnt make that much sense to me, balance is balance etc.

Thankyou.

Rich

Until I can get the extension bar for mine I have used some 2.5kg cast iron weights from argos. I cut up an old mouse mat to use use as a bush to make the fit better. Three weights gives me a reasonable balance with the ST80 mounted on top of the 200PDS. I have taped all three together with duck tape.

Rich

I dont know if you have a small engineering firm near you but internet search will show any. I had a similar problem and found a firm who made me a longer stainless steel counterweight bar for £35 and only took 3 days to do it.

Neil

Thanks everyone. FLO confirmed today no longer in stock. I have however found a guy who will do this. His name is Brian and his website is Astroparts Home, really nice man, infact he stated he could machine any part that i require. Now then, weight or extended shaft? choices...choices. Did the maths on this and it seems HEQ5 pro needs an extra inch per kg on the shaft side of things.

I recently bought one from Scope 'n' Skies and it turned up in just a couple of days. It *is* the one that FLO sell, made by Astro Engineering. It's either that, or FLO's stock code just happens to have same digits as the AE part number.

I bought it to balance the weight of my ST80 guidscope when piggybacked on my 200p. Although it's a fair bit longer than the standard HEQ5/NEQ6 bar, the reality is that the weights themselves only need to slide out about another inch to balance the extra weight. I'd do this, rather than add another weight that will push the mount closer to it's load limit. If it meant sliding the weights right out to the end of the bar, that would be a different proposition.

Russell

Same as russ.will,I also purchased mine from scopes n skies.

Astro Engineering AC686 Replace Counterbalance Extension shaft for HEQ5 and EQ6 Sky Watcher Mount

Had a stupid moment when I first used the new extension shaft.

Had the shaft all the way out with the counterweights about 5ins up the shaft.Used it that way for about two weeks before remembering the shaft is adjustable and slides back up the inside of the mount and locks....:)

Wayne

Thanks, i will call them tomorrow. I have to say havent had to much success with scopes n skies and stopped buying from them a while back so was a little reluctant to call them about this, but if you guys say youve purchased recently ill give them a go. I would rather go down this route really than adding a weight, ive just taken out original bar and it is quite short really so ive put it in a grow bag for the night ......see if it worked tomorrow! Thankyou again.

Rich

Thanks Pete, a guy at opticstar had suggested that. He tried it there for me and said there was a little bit of play but nothing significant, strange to believe the eq3/2 mounts have a slightly larger bore than the heq5. Am i right in thinking what was the eq6 (now neq6) has an extender bar for the original counterweight bar? I believe this along with an extra dovetail is the only difference between an eq6 and an neq6? I think they are the same as the heq5 yet they are not available anywhere, please correct me if im wrong.

Rich

• 1 year later...

Archived