Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Budget DSO showcase

bugle

Hello all,

Having been attentively reading the posts on the DIY section, especially those of yesyes, Quatermass and stan26, I am currently procuring all that is required for my own modest imaging set-up.

I thought it would be good if we could have a small collection of just what can be achieved with minimal equipment... Maybe a qualification criteria?

I was thinking something along the lines of no higher grade equipment than a 200p on EQ5 mounting (or equivalent).

This would allow us to view our images along side those using similar kit and not trying to compare apples with pairs.

What does every one think? Or, if you think its a good idea just start posting results stating equipment used...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly a good idea.....

Il start with my first ever "guided" image....

EQ3-2 (with a few tweaks) Skywatcher star travel 102 scope, Un-modded Canon 500D. Guided with homemade guide scope and Logitech quick cam pro 4000 webcam. Guide software was PHD. This picture was made mostly from 5min subs with a few 10second subs for the core. Total exposure time 1.2hrs. No filters reducers/flatteners used. Edited in PS CS2.

Stan.

6970297563_02a77d529e_b.jpgorion-neb sharp by James stannard, on Flickr

Hi Stan,

Thats just the sort of thing I like to see, amazing! Its the EQ3-2 I have, I plan using it non-guided with an LX webcam to gain some knowledge before probably upgarding to an eq5 (modded for guiding) and dslr next when some money is available. I intend to continue with my current scope (150p, f5) on the eq5 to keep the weight down...

I have a half modded webcam (fingers crossed!) and need to order drives, then a clear night...

Cheers

Cheers Bugle, I do have a few unguided images I can dig out and post up for you to show what can be done without all the extra gadgets/wires hassle etc... I will let others post up there results first......

Stan. :)

You don't need a telescope to begin imaging deep sky objects. Just a tracking mount, DSLR and medium telephoto lens will get you started. In fact some DSO's are so large they won't fit in the field of view of a telescope.

All with a secondhand EQ6 mount and 200mm Nikon lens.

M31 Andromeda

M31_DSCF1921.jpg

IC1396 Cephius

DSCF1988_STACKED_PROCESSED_SMALL_CURVES.jpg

NA Nebula Cygnus

NANEBSMALLCURVES.jpg

Gosh, there is some lovely stuff on here, very impressive. One of my favourite ever SGL images is a 'budget unguided' one - Shibby's Soul Nebula in the 2011 DS imaging showcase. Worth a peep if you haven't seen it. I think a budget showcase really is a good idea.

Olly

Hey, thanks Olly and bugle. Oh how you flatter! :) Stan, laser_jock, Rik and pixueto, they are all stunning images!

I really like the idea of a budget DSO showcase, too. I can forsee much arguing over where to draw the line on a "budget" setup, but good idea nonetheless! My tip is to buy as much second-hand as you can. My mount & camera, arguably the most important bits (certainly the most expensive) were both second hand. Astronomers are a trustworthy bunch and I've had no problems buying used!

Here's a slightly bigger version of that Soul Nebula image:

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture14651-soul-nebula-2.jpg

The cocoon was definitely my second favourite (I even got this printed this on a canvas courtesy of a Groupon!)

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture13702-cocoon-nebula-ic5146.jpg

Equipment for both images: 450D, 150PDS, unguided Vixen GP.

As for eligibility criteria how about a max price for new components (preferably FLO pricing) something like below:

Scope < £300 (based on 200p OTA £255)

Mount < £250 (based on EQ5 £229)

Camera < £350 (based on 1100D body £305 warehouse express)

what does every one think?

I think it would be good to have a criteria, and i wouldnt moan at what you have stated there, maybe a little more on the scope so i can join in? lol :)

But yeah, deffinately a good idea, i know when i was buying my stuff and my budget was/is still tight, i wanted to know what was achievable with 'budget' equipment, and i all i ever heard was 'You NEED a HEQ5 MINIMUM' etc etc and was a bit heartbroken, but i think this thread really shines the light on effort over cost :)

Great idea!

As for eligibility criteria how about a max price for new components (preferably FLO pricing) something like below:

Scope < £300 (based on 200p OTA £255)

Mount < £250 (based on EQ5 £229)

Camera < £350 (based on 1100D body £305 warehouse express)

what does every one think?

You need to add £100 for motors but I like the idea.

How about less than £1,000 all in?

Mine cost about £900.

£350 for a 150P on a driven EQ3-2,

£320 for a Canon 1000D body

£30 for a polar scope,

£30 for LPR filter

£25 for A 2" T-adaptor

£25 for a Chesire

£130 for Photoshop CS3.

Not really 'budget' when you add it all up :) But considering the whole lot is less than the price of an EQ6 it's not that bad.

Just read through this post with great interest.

ALL of these photo's are what I'd like to achieve and have been looking at a suitable scope for it.

Do you think I'd get good results with a Celestron Nexstar 6SE as I've been looking to buy one?

Or do you think I'd be better off with a Skywatcher 150 Synscan GoTo Newtonian?

I don't want to do anything fancy but your photo's are brilliant!

I'd be really happy with the same results

Hi Rick,

That sound good, < £1000 all in for new equipment, done.

Is it possible to somehow edit the first post to state the eligibility criteria there?

Some outstanding images coming through

Unmodded Canon 1000D, 150P, unguided on EQ3-2

Rik,

I can't believe you took those on the same set up as me : (

I've so much to learn.....

I'm off to have a little cry now.

None of my attempts have been worthy of posting so far, but I'll keep plugging on.

Personally i think every effort is worth posting, for 1 you can get some good feedback and knowledge of the experts taking a look at your image and give you some good feedback on how to improve! :) And 2, its always good to share, just remember what it is you're imaging, more than likely something that is 1000's of light years away! So imaging anything is an achievement no matter how bad you think it is! :icon_salut:

Oh, and not forgetting everyone starts somewhere! :)

Hmmm £1000 price tag would get a very nice set up.

Celestron C8 NGT for example :)

Reasonable price from FLO :)

It's all the little extras that add up, the scope's normally the cheap part! You need to budget for a camera as well.

You may have a camera, however, it is the new price of kit (or equivalent) to qualify. So even if you already have the camera, you have to include its new price (or equivalent) in the set up cost...

And as I'm learning, it is indeed all the little extras that add up... Also, nice to see the budget criteria is being debated already lol

Archived