SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Budget DSO showcase

bugle

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if your equipment is obselete and therefore doesn't have a new price? e.g my second hand modded 350D cost 180 pounds, do I quote the new price from 2005?, the same with my mk1 HEQ5 which worked out at costing me 280 pounds after selling the ota that came with it (although I think one or two places still sell these for about 499 pounds) then my zs66, I can't find a price for this? it cost me 140 pounds, I should imaging its about 300 plus change new at a guess?

I'm therefore trying to work out if I have budget kit? my mount, camera, and scope cost a total of 600 pounds second hand, new cost anyone??

Maybe thereshould be subcategories? i.e new under 1000 pounds and second hand under say 750 pounds or somthing, although then what do you do if you have a mixture of new and second hand kit?

p.s. Jon, I would rule out the Celestron 6se unless you want only to image planets with a webcam, its not good for DSO imaging for the following reasons- the focal ratio is too high thus it doesn't grasp enough light for long exposures plus its on a single arm alt/az mount which is totally unsuitable for long exposures in that it will have field rotation and poor tracking accuracy. basic rule of thumb for DSO imaging short focal ratio scope e.g f/4 to f/7 and as good as equatorial mount as you can affored:D

HTH

Chris

Sorry Jon, I accidentally skipped a page, I see this has already been covered:) but onto your next question which Newt? I vote Skywatcher 150PDS all the way, its been specifically designed with prime focus Astrophotography in mind:)

I would totally agree, although I find reading all the "what should I buy? what would be best for..?" threads, this was supposed to be a showcase of images gathered using modest equipment...

Essentially a set criteria can not be made without excluding some who genuinely have modest gear. Therefore a certain responsibility is placed on posters, to have a look at their overall set up and make a judgment as to if it meets the loosely described criteria in previous posts, I think most of you get what the intent is, its just pretty difficult to make hard and fast rules...

Lets get back to the quality images!

I quite agree, sorry for that.

I also think it's very difficult to define what is and isn't budget kit and it all gets too picky, which isn't the point. But I do think you have to take into account the 'new' cost of kit. If someone was lucky enough to pick up a SH EQ6, autoguider and APO for £750??? It shouldn't be about how much you paid for the kit because that lot would normally set you back £2k and change, but it's nice to show what can be achieved with visually oriented kit.

Perhaps it could be based on unguided images or

Mounts smaller than HEQ5 or

DSLR only..

I don't know but it should be about the kit used, not how much you paid for it.

It shouldn't be a competition more like an examples of what can be achieved.

That said, none of this should put people off getting better kit if their budget allows. Otherwise we are steering people towards taking the long way round!

I've seen an image that was produced using a Celestron 80ED mounted on a little NexStar SLT of M51.. and I have to see it was very impressive. I do agree that we should not be putting out the idea that some of the kit we're using in these images is in any way appropriate for deep sky imaging. Just because it works, doesn't mean there aren't more appropriate and suitable kit, that if it can be afforded should be used instead. I used the NexStar as it was what I had, and all I could afford at the time. Upgrading to the HEQ5 made a huge difference.

With regard the criteria and the purpose, for me, as a budget kind of guy i was always interested to see what was achievable using budget gear.

I have been limited to an 80ED scope, EQ5 with drives, DSLR + Adapters.

Im sure this is the pretty much standard of equipment, i think price is important on limiting criteria since its the price of NEW equipment that makes you go 'budget' as such.

If i could, i would have an EQ6 Pro, nice FLT132 scope, big camera etc etc, but since i cant, im happy with what i have. So maybe base the criteria on NEW PRICE and not what you got it for as stated in a previous post...

Just reitterating whats already been said really lol :)

Yeah, makes sense for this to be a precursor to the actual showcase... bugle, it might be worth stressing "No Chat" and "max 5 images" in the first post.

As for my equipment... Here's a summary of my unguided setup.

Actual costs

Mount+EQMOD - £270 s/h

Camera - £290 s/h

Camera mod - £40

Telescope - £190

Coma corrector - £95

Bits & bobs - ~£50

[Total ~£935]

Cost for new equivalent

Mount - erm... It's very old, but there is a GP2, which is £379 without motors & interface (another £150 maybe?)

Camera - £499

Camera mod - £40

Telescope - £229

Coma corrector - £95

Bits & Bobs - ~£75

[Total ~ £1467]

A good argument for buying second-hand, I think.

I can't bring this short focal length solution any lower than this, the weak point would be the optics in this. Ideally you'd need another £100-£300 for some quality glass.

1. EQ1 mount inc. motor £102.00

subtotal Mount £102.00

1. SPC900/SPC880 Adapter for Finders £29.00
  2. Skywatcher 9 x 50 Finder & Bracket £46.99
  3. finderscope shoe £5.00
  4. Philips SPC900NC webcam £50.00
  5. conversion to autoguiding £30.00

subtotal Guiding £160.99

1. Canon DSLR 450D £309.99
  2. diy IR modification £0.00

subtotal Camera £309.99

1. 135mm Zeiss lens £50.00
  2. M42 EOS adapter £8.99
  3. Astronomik CLS EOS-clip filter £106.26

subtotal Optics £165.25

Total £738.23

My apologies for contributing to going off thread:o

I'm still trying to work out if I qualify to take part though, I'm all about imaging on a budget:), I don't think I do based on new price below 1000 though:(

HEQ5 new price 499

ZS 66 Apo new price guessing it would be 300

Canon 350D new price in 2005 670 (not sure how this translates into todays prices?)

T-ring plus adaptor say 25

camera trigger release 15

Total = 1510 pounds

second hand price total 640 pounds

I hope we can settle on a criteria that works, despite getting carried away with peoples scope questions which I'm sorry about I really think this is a great idea for a thread and I'm really impressed with whats been achieved on a tight budget:icon_salut:

Chris

My apologies for contributing to going off thread:o

I'm still trying to work out if I qualify to take part though, I'm all about imaging on a budget:), I don't think I do based on new price below 1000 though:(

HEQ5 new price 499

ZS 66 Apo new price guessing it would be 300

Canon 350D new price in 2005 670 (not sure how this translates into todays prices?)

T-ring plus adaptor say 25

camera trigger release 15

Total = 1510 pounds

second hand price total 640 pounds

I hope we can settle on a criteria that works, despite getting carried away with peoples scope questions which I'm sorry about I really think this is a great idea for a thread and I'm really impressed with whats been achieved on a tight budget:icon_salut:

Chris

I would say you did it the right way rather than us impatient sorts. You got a proper imaging mount at a good price used. If you have no autoguider or laptop for camera control, then I would encourage you to post your images.

Would be good to see the progression from baby mount unguided to proper mount unguided, to baby mount with autoguider and then the full works in the normal deep sky showcase.

Don't worry about this thread becoming a discussion, its good discussion!

Starfox, I would agree that your setup puts you just outside the concept, as I would describe what you have as the often quoted "minimum requirements for AP", and this thread is about what can be achieved below this "minimum". However if your images show a difference in what you have been able to do, this discussion part of thread may be an appropriate place to post them, to aid in that discussion. But not in the mostly modest showcase...

Cheers

Just for interest to show the difference (the only before and after I have at the moment):

M45 Canon 1000D & 150P unguided on EQ3-2

rikmcrae-albums-deep-sky-picture16231-m45-unguided.jpg

M45 Canon 1000D & 150P on NEQ6 with QHY5 finderguider

rikmcrae-albums-deep-sky-picture16232-m45-neq6.jpg

Hi Rik, thanks:) I will post as like you say I'm not using fancy kit, no Goto, no periodic error correction, no fancy stepper motors, no fancy software, not even a remote timer (I'm using a digital watch under my coat to time subs over 30 seconds:D, I've only just upgraded from an EQ5 with drives and an Antares 80mm Semi Apo so I would have well and truly qualified a couple of months ago:D I don't have the mad skills of many on this thread but I will post because like someone mentioned any picture of something thats hundreds or even thousands of light years or Parsecs away is worthwhile:D

And as Rik has shown it highlights the differences between that "all importance" HEQ5 and lower end gear...

Hopefully once I have a bit of knowledge on the eq3-2 and funds become available (around 12 months) I'll be upgrading to an HEQ5 for my 150p and will be able to do some before and after type comparisons as Rik has done...

However, I may take the money saved on not getting an HEQ5 and go for an EQ5 GOTO, as I am learning that the EQ5 would be stable mount for the 150p... decisions, decisions... At least I'm skint and have got plenty time to decide! lol

I will just add, there was one big factor that I considered when deciding on what budget I would allow myself for astrophotography and astronomy in general, and I think everyone especially in this country should really think about it. *THE WEATHER* especially British weather!! This is "one" of the reasons I use cheap gear, and another reason why I have just invested in a Canon L lens and not a telescope.....I simply couldn't justify ££££s of equipment sitting idle whilst relentless amounts of maritime weather rolls in every night.........

Stan :)

Hi Bugle, in that case I should perhaps not post?, although can I just make sure your not mixing up the HEQ5 mk1 with the HEQ5 Pro Synscan, the later is often quoted to be the minumum for AP as its sturdy and has very accurate stepper motors also it has something called periodic error correction and an ST4 autoguider port. This is way more expensive than my mk1 HEQ5 which is a beefier version of the EQ5 it uses the same kind of servo motors as the eq5, and therefore as the same tracking accuracy as the EQ5, I bought it because one day I will buy the 300 pound upgrade to make it into the HEQ5 Pro which would be amazing:D

See i can really relate to what Stan said about the weather, it is awful and REALLY unpredictable in England, so for the sake of 20 good sessions a year, is £10,000 worth it? lol

Archived