NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"pollution solution"

stan26

Quite chuffed with that title :D

Following on from my "idea thread" in the imaging discussion section, in total stan26 el cheapo style I have successfully installed a skywatcher light pollution filter into the rear of my Canon 200mm USM L lens, and the results are looking good......

I have opted for the Skywatcher LP filter, as the cost and previous reviews suggest its great value for money, we like that. It comes in a nice little padded box, and overall quality seems very good. The coatings on the glass give the filter a purple tint. It also comes supplied with a little paper spectrum graph to show what the filter does between 200 - 1100 wavelength nm. It has many spikes and troughs with a big cut at around 580-600nm. Thats a very good thing because that area of the spectrum is street light LP territory, And that is the main problem I want to tackle.....

6967645199_78b01e25c3_b.jpg

skywatcher lp filter by James stannard, on Flickr

To fit the filter in the rear of the Canon 200L, I simply used an O-ring around the filter housing to create a nice tight fit in the exit aperture of the lens, and used a 35mm internal circlip to hold it in place. The circlip bit is very important. I hate to think what would happen if the filter fell into the camera body whilst Imaging :hello2:

6821522576_ac0f6951c7_b.jpg

filer by James stannard, on Flickr

6821522002_ec15f41b69_b.jpg

filter in lens by James stannard, on Flickr

Total cost: Skywatcher LP filter £20. Circlip FOC from local bearing supplier (brammer UK), O-ring FOC from work. Total cost £20. VS astronomik clip filter....well..........:D:(

A quick test in between cloud I done earlier. These image's are totally un-edited crops. I think the results speak for themselves...

6967643377_934d8a99ae_b.jpg

filter test by James stannard, on Flickr

I would like to mention First light optics for there excellent online ordering service. I ordered the filter late Sunday, received it Tuesday morning free delivery. Excellent service highly recommended! :)

stan :(

I can't believe the difference it makes for 20 quid! I said you should be working for Skywatcher Stan:D they should at least give you commision I bet they sell like hot cakes now, I'm getting one:headbang:

And yes very clever title;)

Very neat. Did you set a custom white balance in camera or just fix in processing?

The camera is set to auto white balance, neutral shooting mode. In fact I have used AWB for all my imaging. Absolutely NO adjustments have gone into the above pics, just cropped in PS and thats it, thats how they are completely raw off the memory card.

Would you guys recommend setting a custom WB for astro work..?

Stan :)

The camera is set to auto white balance, neutral shooting mode. In fact I have used AWB for all my imaging. Absolutely NO adjustments have gone into the above pics, just cropped in PS and thats it, thats how they are completely raw off the memory card.

Would you guys recommend setting a custom WB for astro work..?

Stan :)

To be honest I'm not sure if raw files take into account the white balance settings. I guess it depends on the software that you use to develop them.

But either way and excellent solution for doing wide field.

Yep, I think I will either get clipins or get step-down rings. The advantage of putting the filter on the front is that you can use filters with very narrow passbands - not possible with a rear-mounted filter at F rations below 4. Of course, front-mounting only works for lenses up to about 100mm

Archived