NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC2856 with 2856 and 2854 deep field

sergeC14

hi there,

below is a shot of a deep field with the C14 EdgeHD of these 3 galaxies, 2 barred spirals and a perfect spiral:

NGC2856s.jpg

For a change I did alot of exposures on thes ones: 30x600 sec with the Atik 11000-CM. I usually do alot less.

Comments welcomed.

Serge

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam,

the C14 native focal length is 13 Feet (or 3980 mm) and is opened at F/D 11. Regarding resolution, I have had this setup for over 2 years now, and I have noticed that resolution depends only on FWHM or turbulence at the time and guiding quality. The only way to guide at such long focal length is by using an AOG, but what happens is that very often, the guider guides on turbulence:(. So, the more the guide star moves about, the less resolution I get... I think one of those adapative optics set from Orion might be worth a try for me.

Thanx for your comments, when I posted this image on he forum across the pond, I called it "the beauty and the beasts" in reference to this perfect spiral with those 2 nasty looking SB's beside it...

Serge

Thank you for your kind comments.

Widefield it is not! it is only 21' by 31'!!!

long FD...

Serge

Sorry I didn't mean it like that, I meant images that show a few galaxies in one frame are a great way displaying perspective, widefield is probably the wrong word but you know what I mean. :)

I've said eleswhere how much I admire this image and I'm happy to say it again!

How long are your guide subs, Serge? I find that at long FL on the Mesu 200 around 5 seconds is best and helps beat the seeing. However, this makes it hard for the mount to re-start if using dither guiding which is important on our setup. You can't win in imaging...

Olly

This is a really lovely image, and yes long focal lengths do seem to be a challenge. Longer gaps between guide pulses are usually beneficial but I believe that using multiple guide stars might help

I did read a vicious rumour that MaximDL had a plug in that allowed this. It's certainly one area I want to investigate.

(I've got 1500mm fl and it's long enough to start worring)

Derek

Hey Olly,

nice to see you here. First and foremost I want to tell all that all I know about OSC images processing is thanks to you!!!

How is "les granges"? gorgeous sky as usual you lucky ******?!

My guiding subs depends mainly on seeing and also primarily on my worm screw... I'll explain, as far as my experience go, Titan mount are engineered as an oversized G11, including the wormgear. Only what was a fairly accurate wormscrew on a G11 turns out to be a 20" PE on a titan, with fairly steep slopes. Now, I happen to be friendly with a well known astronomy shop here in France who's trying to improve it, so I am a newly manufactured wormscrew "beta tester".

with the original screw, I had to use 0.5 sec subs due to the steep slopes, but that also guides on turbulence. with the mark 2 I am using just now, I can afford 2 sec subs as for this image.

Now, RFdesigner, if there is a plug in for maxim to track on three stars, I'm a taker. Mind you, it's hard enough to find one within the field on the 16-IC, let alone three!

Sam, no, I did no mean "wide field" like that; I know what you meant, no worries!

It makes it all worthwile when other astronomers like your pictures! Even though the primary satisfaction and motivation is to get results you are pleased with!:)

thanx again

Serge

I have performed astrometric calibration using pinpoint in Maxim, then opened Aladin to load a few catalogs o try to determine the limit magnitude of the image. turns out very few of the "fuzzies" on the image are catalogued anywhere. Judging from the stars, I'd say limit magnitude is about Mag 20 or 21. here is the resolved astrometric image:

NGC2856alad.jpg

you can see the ejection tail alot better on this negaive image.:)

Rgds

Serge

Thanks Morimarty,

monitors usually are the problem when trying to adjust the background for the image. Mine I know is not too bad even though it is not a high end one. In fact, I have 2 monitors connected to my PC, the one I just described plus a pretty bad one. If I drag an image on the second monitor, the difference is huge (dark background and so on).

I did not know NGC2856 did have that ejecta, which is probably why I never noticed it. Maybe I do no look closely at the images I acquire... This is how I'll miss a supernova someday...:)

Rgds

Serge

pfiew that is amazing ...

Now on the titan mount, I'm amazed it's PE is so bad, I have a recent G11 I think it's around 5 p-p ... they used to be much worse but since a year QA and precision of Losmandy mounts is great, so much I decided to the Gemini 2 version. I like the mesu but it's to big to cary around ...

OK. It was hazy but I managed to spot 12 stars from you photo down to mag 13.8. This is not as deep as normal due to the haze as I was looking straight up.

NGC2854 was the brightest to me. Thats the one to the bottom left on your photo. It still required averted vision and was tough. NGC 2856 was at the extreme limit of vision with hints of it coming and going but I certainly would not be able to pick it out without knowing where to look.

NGC 2857 was impossible. I found the "double" star below and to the right of it in your picture but no sign at all of this one..

FUN

Mark

Archived