Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AuroraWatch RED ALERT!

Welcome to AuroraWatch UK

Aurora Forecast | Geophysical Institute

http://hfradio.org/aurora_globe.html

http://helios.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/

Just our luck that the most dependable site for updates has been and is still down due to server / IT upgrades (NOAA)

we may be lucky, looking at th strength, it may last until tonight (hopefully) although clouds here in scotland are terrible today :D

So sods law, best storm in ages underway, and NOAA is down, its daylight and its cloudy -- lucky white heather anyone??

Dave

Last night I checked the site (link) below and saw the northern tip of GB within the viewing line (red line) and just now, the aurora is currently over the same area so if you people have no clouds tonight, chanches are some of you will get a colorful treat.

Link to OVATION Aurora: OVATION Aurora

Total agree, mind you the full Moon would have spoild the sight any how. There's more on the way though! This from SWN

INCOMING CME: As Earth's magnetic field reverberates from the impact of one CME on March 8th, a second CME is on the way. Big sunspot AR1429 unleashed an M6-class solar flare today, and the eruption hurled a cloud of plasma almost directly toward Earth. Forecasters say the CME could reach our planet during the late hours of March 10th or early hours of March 11th. Strong geomagnetic storms are possible when the cloud arrives. Check SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids for more information and updates.

I suspect as the year goes on and we reach solar max the activity will increase?
Yes.

Also, some years ago I remeber reading suggestions (Livsey BAA ?) that the frequency of aurora increases on the downward portion of the cycle (a few years yet). The suggestion was that as the cycle progresses the sunspots, and thus the active regions, migrate from higher solar latitudes down to equatorial regions, they then become more orientated into earthward directed CMEs

?

I dunno if this was ever statistically validated ?

My inbox has just received a RED alert for aurora from the University of Lancaster "AuroraWatch UK red alert, 2012-03-15 17:05:01UT." . Currently I'm clouded out in the West Yorkshire Pennines . Grrrrrrrr :) . Hope others have better conditions.

Archived