Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lenses for 10" Dob

SrStewart

I've recently got the SW 250PX and I'm looking to get some new lenses and a barlow. The ones that came with the kit where the Super Plossl 25mm and the 10mm lenses. I've read that usually a 6.25 and a 2x Barlow would be a good addition.

I'm just curious to what anyone else imput is on this before I dig into my pockets to buy some. I'm not looking for cheap fittings but something in the mid price range. Also should I possibly just get a new set of lenses? Or are the basic ones that came with my scope?

Plus! Filters? Whats a good recommended filter? and are they really worth it?

Also filter wise looking for a nebula filter. IR/Hydrogen/Oxygen. Not sure since I do have somewhat strong light pollution should I get a LPR? Or will that have much effect?

And I'm going to toss another one out there. I was looking at 3x and 4x Barlows. Are they worth it for deep space? or is a 2x good enough?

Eyepiece choice is a huge subject, with no definite answers.

However, you mention mid-price range, so these may be what you are looking for - First Light Optics - Baader Hyperion 68 degree eyepiece

You can get good viewing with three eyepieces, low medium and high power.

Personally, I'd get a good eyepiece set first, and leave filters until later. Eyepieces are good for all objects, filters for just some.

All the best in your choice, Ed.

My most used eyepieces when I had a 250mm were a 13mm (x92) for DSOs and a 4mm (x300) for planets. Eyepieces around the 6/5mm range are good too for planets depending on your seeing conditions.

Just so you know, the "Super 10" and "Super 25" that come with the 250PX don aren't Plossls at all - they're apparently Modified Achromats (MAs), i.e. a kind of Kellner. Plossls will be a little bit better.

Also, I hear the Baader Hyperion is not recommended for the 250PX with its fast focal ratio of f/4.7. I was considering one or more for mine and decided against it for that reason, following what I'd read on this forum.

Tom

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

If I may, the Hyperion's are not that bad given there cost. To improve on there performance you will be spending almost twice as much money. I have owned a some premium EP's and even these were not totally void of the effects of a fast scope. If one is to choose a fast scope then it should come with a level of acceptance that eyepieces will show varying degrees of aberrations. What I mean to say is within reason it is acceptable to experience coma, astigmatism or pin cushioning as long as it dose not become too much of a distracting feature that you are not comfortably observing the night sky object. There are some observers that find the distractions far to intrusive and choose premium eyepieces and spend accordingly. OK I agree that most people don't understand the demands of a fast scope when purchasing and often their choice is made on budget. Unfortunately what is often the case is fast scopes are cheap but you have to spend a fortune getting good quality eyepieces to improve on the views. It is often the reverse for a fast scope in that the scope itself is expensive but you can get away with using cheaper eyepieces. I know of a few members on SGL who are more than happy using the Revelation eyepiece kits with 52' FOV. My experience with using them found that the outer 10-15% show aberrations which is similar to that of the Hyperion's. The difference being is that the Hyperion's offer a larger 68' FOV and so you have a larger area of sharper stars to view. Other advantages are that they offer far better comfort to the user as you are not squinting through a small eye lens with restricted eye relief which becomes more apparent the shorter the focal length. Sure the views are not perfect but they are not supposed to be. If they were perfect then they would cost as much as the premium EP's on the market. I thought it best to mention this as people often over look that aberrations are an acceptable if not desired part of using fast telescopes. It is only recent additions of premium eyepieces that has everyone seems to think some eyepieces cannot be used in fast scopes despite the fact they offer more comfortably viewing due to longer eye relief, wide fields of view or better colour correction over the standard eyepieces that come with a scope. Just my 2p worth.

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Here is the list I have complied for what I am looking into.

SkyWatcher Nirvana UWA 28mm Eyepiece 2"

William Optics UWAN 16mm 1.25"

Baader Hyperion 8mm

Baader Hyperion 2.25x Barlow

The 28mm is quite the pricey piece and not sure if I can afford to get that one at the moment.

I'm just curious to is there anything I should look at too?

I was thinking of maybe looking at a substitute for the 28mm but then again if I want to upgrade my low power ep, I don't want to buy something cheap now and spend more money later on it.

Just would like some insight into these pieces. Yay? or Nay?

Just so you know, the "Super 10" and "Super 25" that come with the 250PX don aren't Plossls at all - they're apparently Modified Achromats (MAs), i.e. a kind of Kellner. Plossls will be a little bit better.

Also, I hear the Baader Hyperion is not recommended for the 250PX with its fast focal ratio of f/4.7. I was considering one or more for mine and decided against it for that reason, following what I'd read on this forum.

Tom

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Was that the EP or the Barlow?

The UWAN / Nirvana's are the same eyepieces - and very good they are too

The Hyperions are nice eyepieces in scopes slower than around F/6 but start to show quite a lot of astigmatism in scopes faster than that. Your 250PX is a pretty fast scope at F/4.7. I don't feel the Hyperions will be in the same league as the UWAN / Nirvana's in it. Perhaps consider a 7mm Nirvana instead ?.

A decent (though not as good IMHO) alternative to the Nirvana 28mm would be the Skywatcher Aero ED 30mm.

How come zoom lenses are cheap for having the ability to have all those sizes within itself. Would think if anything they'd be more expensive. There must be a big disadvantage to them?

Some zooms are not so good but the Hyperion is one that gets quite close to the performance of the fixed focal length Hyperions. The fixed length ones are still better IMHO and the UWAN / Nirvana's a step up again, again thats my opinion from trying these eyepieces in a variety of scopes.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not from an ep point of view but from a lot of nature photography all zoom lenses have a sweet spot in there range if you are going down that route I would ask

In a new thred preferably someone with a scope same as yours. As I said this is photographic lenses but I would think the eyepieces would be the same.

Archived