Newbie Seeking Help!

StargazingMum

Hi all,

I'm new to all this and joined because I have a 7 year old daughter who is really interested in stars, planets etc. She had a telescope for christmas and we are just starting to explore the sky and all its glory together.

Although I have always loved looking up at the stars I havent really got a clue where to start but now find that I am just as interested as she is, its actually turning into quite a hobby for both if us. This week we have been using her telescope to look at the moon, Venus, Jupiter and we think we have located Mercury and Mars tonight.

If anyone can offer any tips or advice to help get us started it would be greatly appreciated. (Quite ashamed to admit that my daughter has more knowledge than I do in this subject so feel like I have a lot of learning to do!)

Can anyone recommend any good websites that will help us??

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Have a 7yo myself and like you I find mine also seems to know more than me.

I can recommend the book Turn Left at Orion. It lists objects that can be seen with a small scope and how to find them. I would also suggest you download a program called Stellarium. It's a free program and is very easy to use. My daughter loves it.

Any questions you may have just ask. There is always someone here willing to help.

Clear skies:)

Hi im from Long Eaton just down the road from you i have a Girl of 9 and she is just getting into astronomy. She is also doing it at school to help her we have joined the long eaton school observatory (the Malcolm Parry Observatory) its very good its £10 a year for an adult and free for children you can get the details from LE school website. They do talks and let you veiw through there telescope its Fantastic. If you need help finding what to look for in the night sky there is some free software for PC called Stellarium its worth a look.

We are also new to Astronomy and only have my daughters telescope for now.

Hope some of this is of help

Happy Gazing

Paul and Chloe

Hi and welcome to you both :)

I'm new to this myself, and for the same reasons as you, only my son is 10.

I'm sure plenty of people will have great sites for you to check out, but personally I find THIS ONE is the place to find answers if you know what questions you need answering. Lots of people with a great deal of knowledge and more than happy to help. In my search for information using google, I generally get pointed to a thread on here!

And there's nothing to be ashamed about, I'm really enjoying catching up :)

Have fun

Hi and welcome to SGL - great to start the journey together, however if its anything like a smart phone - she will leave you in her wake :)

Wow, already some great advice.

LukeSuppalot: I will definately order the book, thanx. She already has a few books but seem a bit technical for her age, although that doesn't stop her reading every word and then debating the facts with me!! Also in the process of downloading Stellarium, didn't even know about this so hopefully she will enjoy after school tomorrow.

Netspy7: I am definately going to be looking into that, thanx. I have been trying to find somewhere local that has equipment etc, also looking for local events so if you hear of anything it would be amazing to take her along. Do you just do it from home or do you know of anywhere with really good views?

Dave7a: I'm quite surprised how friendly people are on here, I'm quite enjoying catching up as well, it's always good to know that there is someone to ask, I've spent hours searching for info over the last few weeks and didn't understand most of it but hopefully it will all come together now.

Duns: I have no doubt that you are right!! she is already miles ahead of me but its really good to see that a 7 year old has so much passion for a subject that doesn't involve a handheld game...lol.

Just doing it from home at the min im trying to find some darker areas around us im told west park is ok but open countryside would be better

The website i was on about is http://www.longeaton.derbyshire.sch.uk/about/observatory

Might see you there sometime

If you come across any good viewing areas let us know

And if you see anything good out there share it :-)

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dwfyyd

Hi StargazingMum, welcome to SGL

As far as books are concerned, I'm sure you're aware of the excellent Dorling Kindersleys brand of books? Well, DK do some really great Astronomy titles, full of the usual high quality graphics and images. I actually keep one with me all the time. It's entitled Astronomy by Ian Ridpath in DK's Eyewitness Companions range of books. Well worth having a look at.

Hope this helps :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. Agree that Stellarium is a really good resource as it will help you find and identify what you're looking at. It also has a useful advance date/time feature which will help calculate (by advancing the night sky) when objects will appear and from where. Really useful if you're like me and have a couple of tree in your garden and if an object is going to show before its bedtime. I agree with Andy's recommendation of Ian Ridpath's book which is a little gem, lots of info, easy to use, well laid out and importantly not expensive. Another great book is "Turn Left at Orion" which helps you find a great list of easy to find objects with lots of supporting info. Sadly, it's a bit on the expensive side in my view so it might be one to borrow from the library.

One great thing about this forum is that we all know where to find freebies likes maps, observing list and observation recording sheets (great for school projects) etc so don't go buying anything without checking here first to see where you might be able to download stuff for nothing.

Hope you both enjoy your stay and clear skies for now!

James

Hi StargazingMum and welcome to SGL, might I suggest you and you Daughter next time you are in a shopping area where there is a Smiths or alternatively a Library, have a look at what they have in the Astronomical section, Sir PM wrote a number of basic booklets on learning the night sky and your Daughter may appreciate the simple way they are laid out, and they are not overly expensive. You may also like to consider the addition of a pair of moderately priced binoculars to add to your kit, this would enable you to work together on locating the many objects there are to see in the night sky :)

John.

Archived