The excitement begins

Hi Philip, and welcome to SGL.

Nice scope the 130, and fairly intuitive in use.

Most beginners find collimation of the optics their main worry.

However, it is no big deal, but look up collimation, and read about what it entails. Simply maintaining the optical elemnts of the telescope properly aligned, and thereby getting the best performance from it

Should you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask in this section, and lots of advice will pour in.

Good luck, and enjoy your new telescope.;)

Ron.

The scope should arrive collimated from production and as it is not that big of an aperture, I reckon you will not need to collimate it for a while, unless you are really fastidious about this sort of things. Rough allignment will do for a while. You will be blown away by the views anyway, and a slight misalignment and a picture deterioration by 2% from perfect will not be your biggest worry.

I hope that your excitement will not dissapate with the clouds though :)

I have the 130 and its a very good scope to begin with. It's quick and easy to set up so you can get stuck right into it. Once you get used to it after a few trips outside you'll really begin to enjoy using it.

What I would say though is if you have room somewhere in the house set it up there first to get the balance right and finder scope set up so you don't have to mess about with that when you head out for the first time. There's nothing more frustrating than forgetting to do something and having to do it when you could be looking through the scope instead.

Most of all just enjoy it :)

I have just ordered this First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130 so hopefully it'll be here Tuesday/Wednesday!

Any advice or tips regarding this Telescope will be gratefully received. Here's hoping for some clear skies :)

Can't wait :)

My advice would be if you get stuck or are not sure with any of the set up or indeed anything to do with astronomy) then take the scope along to an open evening or observing night at your local astronomoy group. There wil always be people to help and advise. Do not worry that their scopes are more complex and that they won't be interested - I've found that they always love a new toy to have play with!!!

Just out of interest does anyone know the delivery timescale from FLO, the status of my order as of now is Order Update: Ordered for direct shipment from importers 5th March.

Am I looking at next day delivery or 2 day delivery, the wait is killing me :)

I have the same scope from the same supplier and am very pleased with it so far (about a dozen or so nights with it). If you have the goto then read up about it first and have a good long play with the handset inside first. My main problems were not levelling the mount, and struggling with the alignment stars - some form of star map, whether electronic or on paper is essential.

Keep the tripod low and add some weight on the tray was advice i got on this forum and is worth doing.

Archived