NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The real Brian Cox effect

spaceboy

I put this earlier in the heads up. Also on my watch list :) I wonder also if it was knelt on by him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Knelt on by him".............

Is that a big selling point?

Obviously if it was.....................then avoid it.

I have to say that it doesn't look like an 8SE. It looks a bit small to be an 8SE. Maybe a 6SE.

Either that or Brian is a giant.

P.S.~~~looks like he has had a few glasses of the "Meteor" wine.

It's still only at roughly the retail price of a new one, but three days to go yet. I shouldn't worry about it - it may well go to an autograph hunter who'll use it as an ornament and doesn't much care about its functionality as a practical 'scope. It won't do anything to affect the general price of secondhand kit.

It's still only at roughly the retail price of a new one, but three days to go yet. I shouldn't worry about it - it may well go to an autograph hunter who'll use it as an ornament and doesn't much care about its functionality as a practical 'scope. It won't do anything to affect the general price of secondhand kit.

You can get Buzz Aldrin's autograph for less then that.. I know which one i'd prefer. :)

You can get Buzz Aldrin's autograph for less then that.. I know which one i'd prefer. :)

Agreed, but ... silly people are silly. It's a small price to pay for BC's involvement with celebrity culture, if he actually does inspire people to take an interest in astronomy and science in general. I can't see anyone else filling that role at present, at least not on mainstream media. It's easy to forget that BC is a real working scientist.

I bet the seller can't believe his luck though. It cost them nothing more than a sharpie and a hey can you sign this for me to get their money back on a scope they may have used hundreds of times. Who am I kidding...... 2 years they probably used it 5 times :)

@Spaceboy @imarcs - I can promise you it has not been used more than 3 times - and one of those it was just set up and brought back inside within a few minutes as the clouds came in. There is another thread on here a couple of pages back where I explain why I am selling it and it was nice to see the majority of the people who commented on it actually though the sale was very reasonable. I'm not selling it because of Brians signature - when he signed it I had every intention of keeping it, using it more & of it appearing on next years show again - however I just don't get chance to use it unfortunately and I also could do with the money really. I've not listed it any higher because of the signature - it's just a nice bonus to someone if they want it - if you don't then obviously don't bid. As most people who commented on the previous thread said - a starting bid of £650 for what I am listing is pretty / very reasonable I would say.

Keaton

Keaton, I think we both said that it was virtually unused. None of the comments here have any negativity about the seller and are all lighthearted fun for the most part. Good luck with the sale.

@spaceboy Haha - I'll be honest - he'd had a few!! ;op It was after the final show though so there was a good reason! He had to be up at ridiculous o'clock as well to get back to Jodrell Bank for a schools webcast - rock & roll huh!! It was Brian who actually kept asking me where the telescope was to sign also - he really wanted to do it before we all departed! @imarcs - no probs at all - was just quickly explaining the deal with it tho - and that I explained the sale on another thread. Cheers for the well wishes with it though bud

Archived