Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bobs Knobs or 30mm M4 Nylon Bolt

M4 Nylon screws will be "bendy"...the tips will also distort under pressure...Because of this I wouldn't of thought they would hold collimation that well

You can get brass screws fitted with plastic knobs on ebay - I bought a range of differrent sizes last year...

Peter...

I too have the WDS ones, fitted yesterday. They are only 25mm not the 30mm recomended by Bobs Knobs but with a washer they work fine. :) Cost 6.76 including delivery for 3.

I did notice that WDS does another M4 in steel that is 35mm long. Might be worth considering.

Another way is just to buy the knobs and a length of stainless threaded rod. Then you can have custom thumbscrews of exactly the right length. The knobs on their own are quite cheap from WDS. The short lengths of stainless rod on eBay are cheap and Loctite is also fairly cheap on eBay.

If you fancy something more expensive Rob at Epsilon can make thumbscrews to order in brass, aluminium or stainless steel and with or without nylon tips. List of standard sizes here but they can be ordered in any size/material with knurled heads or Delrin ones.

http://www.epsilon-telescopes.co.uk/products/thumbscrews.htm

John

There's more than enough clearance with the 25mm ones, even with a washer added.

Hi, did you replace the Alan Key screws with these? Are they the same as the ones that you mentioned in your first post? I am after some for my secondary mirror adjustment only. Thanks. CW :)

Archived