NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dilemma (but a nice one)

Citizen

I bought the Celestron 6SE scope a month or so ago and have really enjoyed it. Mostly cloudy days but when clear I have been wow'd and wow'd by nebulae, planets and stars. Just what I wanted (could always be better).

Now, for whatever reason, I have a new budget to upgrade the whole thing. The merchant that I bought it from offers a 100% trade in for a "bigger" model. Therefore I can upgrade to the SE8 or even the CPC800 XLT (assuming I choose to stick with the Celestron GOTO range). This would mean a bigger aperture instantly, which is no bad thing obviously, and could cure the aperture fevour for now. I'd be expecting better definition and sharpness of image. Assume that is the way, even allowing for light pollution and restricted viewing in a suburban garden?

Or I could keep the 6SE and accessorise it with the new budget, i.e. more eyepieces and filters and barlows etc

Not trying to put any onus on anyone obviously, but what might you do, if given the chance? More aperture or supplement the current aperture? I get the feeling aperture is king?

Thanks as ever

Nothing like more aperture for delivering more viewing satisfaction. Usually though the recommendation is to try and make a 4" jump to get the "wow" factor but a 10" SCT is a major proposition.

The most obvious way to see the benefits of additional aperture is when viewing deep sky objects, especially globular clusters. The improvements in planetary and lunar definition and contrast are sometimes more subtle as the viewing conditions play such a big part in those.

You've only had it a month and you wanna upgrade.;)

We've only had one or two clear nights in Surrey in the last month.:)

I should give the little fella a fair crack of the whip before you trade him in. Else by the end of the year you'll need to be on mount Palomar.;)

Regards Steve

I upgraded from a 6" SCT to an 8" SCT and did not really see much difference except less money in my wallet. I would say stick with the 6SE for a while longer or jump to at least a 9.25". Come to think of it, I seem to remember the C11 is on special offer...

My concern about going bigger for the 8SE is would you use it as much as the 6SE.

The lareger size should show more, close to twice the aperture area, but a small scope is easy to take out and use.

However a 100% return is a good offer to get from 6 - 8 inch.

Heh! Swamp Thing, I hear you. My budget was always the 6SE and it has been very good. Just a major change of events otherwise I'd stick with it for good. Just always reading about aperture and I like the 6SE so the 8SE, on this deal made sense.

cgarry, yeah fair point, that was why I was asking really. What real benefit would I get for the price hike, when I could just spend that on the current scope

The 100% trade in is attractive, especially as the oringinal purchase cost me nothing so to speak. The upgrade would be out of my pocket so would work out as the initial purchase in reality.

Hmmmm, what to do? As ever this site offers such quick and honest advice but often that just clouds the issue! icon10.gif

Ha! That would be crass to say obviously. Let's just say, I could buy the 8SE (taking the 6SE off the asking price) or even the CPC800 if I chose not to spend it on anything else.

Very happy with the 6SE and as Capricorn says, it's easy to fetch in and out the house. Is the 8" really so much more heavy that I wouldn't bother?

I went from 8-12" but cant tell you how it feels to look through yet as the 12 has not been mounted due to the size difference, what i can tell you is the 8" was fantastic, for me its a no brainer to go get the 8" for 100% back on the 6" you will not be dissapointed i can assure you, regardless of the little differnce the 8" will certainly offer better viewing. then you can sit on the spare cash and work out whats next on your list...my next is the WO FLT110 that i keep harping on about but I'm waiting for FLO to say they have the new version in at a competitive price..

by the way, i kept the 8" for another dark site in Norfolk, it was so nice to look through i didnt let it go in the end. but that may change when the FLT hit the store.

I love the 8SE - same mount as the 6 SE I think (maybe you could just buy the OTA and have some cash left over for nice EPs), so no change there for you, and I don't think the larger tube is that unweildy or heavy. I can manage pretty easily on my own. Not exactly grab and go though ;).

Fantastic views with it, but I find the larger tube on that mount is a little wobbly - you might want to get some anti-vibration pads or some weights to steady the tripod down.

Oddly enough, my telescope buying is taking me to smaller apertures...and I think I like refractors more :-). I love the sharp views my 100mm Tal gives me, and am thinking about an 80mm APO next... .

Archived