I am new to the hobby and forum.

I have been looking at dobsonians. I have been using a skywatcher 76 mini. With my son and want to get my own so I stop hogging his!

I have been considering the skyliner range at the 200 and 250 size. I am wondering the best to go for as there is the flextube, auto, or standard models and Meade light bridge! I want it for general use and would like to use an SLR camera in the future!

Can anyone give any thoughts or advice on this range?

Thanks,

Dave

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, dobs aren't ideal for astrophotography because although they may be able to track a target, they don't track equatorially so you will get field rotation.

What is best depends really on how much you want to spend. A manual 8" dob like this First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian represents just about the best bang per buck you can get. However, if you add GOTO onto that manual 8" dob, you're looking £450 more!

You could always sell me yours and get one! Lol

I have considered the 200p on eq5 mount but was unsure if it may be too technical for me? And the focal length is shorter. I presume I would need auto tracking for taking pictures? Or would an eq5 manual be OK?

I dont really understand the difference about what equatorial means yet? So an auto dob would not suit taking pictures that well?

An auto-dob would be fine taking short avi's with a webcam for the moon and planets, but would not be suitable for the long exposures necessary for imaging deep space objects such as nebulae, galaxies and so on. For that you would need a motor-driven equatorial mount (so that the mount follows the target as it moves across the sky), such as an HEQ5 http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html. And probably a guidescope and guidecamera as well.

A webcam or other high framerate camera is the weapon of choice for the moon, planets and even the sun. A DSLR or cooled CCD the tool for long exposure imaging for deep space objects.

if you want a cheap dob that is capable of affordable upgrading the 200p is the one to go for. Then if you want to image in the future put it on an eq6. you may be talking some exotic mounts for imaging larger ota's

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

you need the solid one not a flexitube if you are thinking of upgrading the mount at a later stage

The Orion looks good value! It comes with the go to type equipment. Are these as good as skywatcher? Can anyone offer advice on these? The wording of the computer handset is not entirely clear.

Thanks everyone, I think I am starting to realise what I should be going for! To begin with a dob will be fine. Some simple planet and moon pics will be what I want to begin with. I am sure one of these will give me more than enough interest for a good few years!

The Orion and Skyliner are both made by the same manufacturer, so optically they are identical. The gubbins the mirrors sit in are different though. Personally, I prefer the simplicity of the solid tube Skyliners.

The 200P is the sweet spot in almost every respect. Value for money and flexibility of viewing targets and size/weight. They are big enough to be useful yet small enough to store and transport. Long enough focal length for planets yet with enough aperture for deep sky objects. f/6 so nice and easy on eyepieces and a steal at £270.

The 200p dob such a great, basic scope. There is nothing to fiddle about with, just take it to the site, get out a skycap and point it. I think, if you want to image, then you need to buy a scope capable of doing that right from the start and then some of the spontinaity is lost. If we had lots of clear skies in the UK this wouldn't be a chore, but in reality, most of us get a few hours observing a week between the clouds if we are lucky. Most of us live in light polluted areas which makes a permanently set up scope very difficult. In many ways you need two scopes, one that can be quickly set up to catch those fleetingly clear skies and one dedicated to photography when time allows.

In many ways you need two scopes, one that can be quickly set up to catch those fleetingly clear skies and one dedicated to photography when time allows.

That's the way I do it ;)

Dobsonians are great grab-and-go scopes as long as you can grab-and-go. I have a 250 Swywatcher solid tube that I just heave out of the front door onto the drive using the handles (live in the country). I would not want to try and manhandle a larger one, and I would not want to carry this one very far.

But for me it works well, I can be up and running in 5 minutes - yes I know I should allow time for cool-down, but those breaks int eh cloud can be very short!. With a Telrad to quickly find things and a right-angle finder to ease the strain on my neck, I have a lot of fun with a lot of scope.

My imaging rig is different. Slower to set up and slower to use. That is just in the nature of things.

old_eyes

Thanks for all the advice! I think I know in my heart the 200 skyliner at £270 delivered is the way for me. I am still new to the hobby and think this would keep me having fun! I need to walk before I run and if the photography grabs me in the future I can re assess? I see they hold almost all their value second hand anyway so would never get stuck with it!

hi

i have the 200 skyliner and it's pretty good [only used it for a few hours since i got it last week due to cloud cover but it's great for moon planets etc ]not been outside town so will need to wait for DSO views.

i was lucky and got a cheap second hand one [from gumtree ] so was able to go see the scope and check it before buying ,and had loads of advice from people on this forum .but rather than spending £270 new i would have a look about to see what is availiable second hand [maybe here U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell or here Telescope in United Kingdom | All Classifieds | Gumtree.com

you may pick up a decent scope for a reasonable price

Thanks for all the advice! I think I know in my heart the 200 skyliner at £270 delivered is the way for me. I am still new to the hobby and think this would keep me having fun! I need to walk before I run and if the photography grabs me in the future I can re assess? I see they hold almost all their value second hand anyway so would never get stuck with it!

You wont regret it, well, not for now, untill the "apperture fever" sets in lol - Theres a nice 10" on fleabay for £350 buy it now !!!!!!!

The Orion and Skyliner are both made by the same manufacturer, so optically they are identical. .

The difference is in the coating of the mirrors, mine is hilux, its supposed to be better, but not having used a skywatcher, of the same size, cant really say, and its also an F5

Its down to personnel choice, and mine is for the Orion.

The difference is in the coating of the mirrors, mine is hilux, its supposed to be better, but not having used a skywatcher, of the same size, cant really say, and its also an F5

Its down to personnel choice, and mine is for the Orion.

Depends which Orion you are talking about. Orion Optics UK is a different kettle of fish, these do have better mirrors and coatings but also have the price-tag to match. The Orion Skyquest is made by Synta in China and is essentially the same as the SkyWatcher Skyliner.

Archived