Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do you find those deep space objects.

So here's the problem. I don't want a computer to guide me around the sky, I'd sooner learn to navigate around the sky. I've successfully located some of the notable deep sky objects with binoculars but relocating them with my 4" reflector telescope is proving difficult.

How can I find the object I want to view with the red dot finder scope when the object isn't visible?

Down load Stellarium, find the object you want to look for, the F3 key for the search option, then note the star patterns and star hop to the object, me i use a telrad, and the telrad option in stellarium, and a really low power EP with a wide FOV, for the really dim stuff i have used a camera to take 45 second image then if the object is not in view move a bit and try again..

You could do no better than invest in a copy of Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders, 500 pages of what to see, how to find it and what it looks like, deals with each Constellation, bit like an astronomical yellow pages, akin to TL@O but this one goes much further and will show you the art of star hopping, a lot of valuable pre information as well, such as lenses/filters star maps etc, written for small scopes and binos. However, you seem only to have an RDF, to star hop you will have to invest in an optical finder in order to find and locate the star patterns/asterisms to direct you to your target, unless you have very dark skies and are blessed with very good eyesight ;)

Thanks for the advice. Lucky enough to live where there are no street lights so the view of the sky is fab. It was the clarity of the sky that got me interested in the first place. Noted the finderscope and will invest as soon as the management release the funds :D

As Tinker1947 says, get a really low power, wide field eyepiece and use that as a "finder eyepiece" in conjunction with your red dot finder.

spot on advice,all part of the fun and sense of achievement,not that there is anything wrong with a goto either!

Archived