Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars at last!

Congratulations on seeing Mars !

To me it's looking pale rusty red with darker grey-blue areas plus the white northern pole cap which seems to have a darker area along its southern boundary. The detail is good at 240x with my 10" scope tonight.

This tool is useful to get an idea of which features are facing us at the moment (the Mars Profiler link):

Mars: Which Side Is Visible? - Planets - SkyandTelescope.com

Seeing is quite good here but transparency mediocre so galaxies and nebulae are a bit of a struggle.

I've been looking at Mars myself tonight for the first time. Am now just waiting for Saturn to make an apperance then that will be done for tonight. Bagged a few more objects for the first time. I must say that Mars wasn't red. More bright yellow.

Congrats on seeing Mars and a polar cap. The last time I looked or tried to look at Mars was with a 9.7mm EP Barlowed. And to me it just looked like a white/cream looking small disc, weird as everyone else seemed to be picking up the red ? But it was my first attempt. I put it down to poor seeing conditions & still learning.

Archived