Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 1000D mod started

Spikey

Phew all back together again and working. Lost one of the tiny screws in the innards somewhere it's not affected anything. Had to pop out and run an errand so estimated time start to finish is about 2 hours. All done with a #0 size jewellers, small pair of tweezers and a cocktail stick !

All in all not too bad, a little fiddly but I would definately do it again. Many thanks to Gary Honis for supplying such great instructions.

Got the CCD on the imaging rig at the moment so might not be able to test tonight as it's beginning to clear up.

The thing is I can't even hear it rattling around so I'm not sure if it's still in there. I've got to scour the floor and see if it fell out or not. If it is in there it's in the bottom left corner somewhere. I may just strip it down again for piece of mind, but not tonight.

Oh yes - magnets are a godsend ;) I have a super-magnet on a telescopic shaft - very very useful and cheap too ;)

I certainly wouldn't leave a loose screw in a camera either. But a good search could save you the trouble of stripping it down again.

Whenever I do any fiddly dis-assembly or assembly work I do it "inside" one of those Big plastic under bed storage containers... saves searching the floor for lost bits...

Peter...

That's a great idea ;)

It's not on the floor and I can't hear any rattling which means it's jammed inside it somewhere. Time fo a complete case off strip down ! Oh well good job I'm not using it tonight.
It's easy to pick up small screws on your clothes or if they fall on the floor, on or in your shoes. If your trousers have turn-ups, look there too.

so estimated time start to finish is about 2 hours.

So, is the 'clock' still ticking up until the last screw is in place? ;)

Been reading the thread with interest as have been thinking of buying a 1000D and trying this myself.

Hope you manage to locate that screw. ;)

So, is the 'clock' still ticking up until the last screw is in place? ;)

Been reading the thread with interest as have been thinking of buying a 1000D and trying this myself.

Hope you manage to locate that screw. ;)

LOL yeh it'll be ticking for a few days I reckon. Haven't got time to do anything with it now.

The 1100D uses a later/better processor than the 1000D and has lower noise. It also has an amp-off circuit within it - I don't know if the 1000D has this. Maybe someone with the 1000D can tell us if they get amp glow. There is no amp glow with long exposures with the 1100D.

Archived