NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EOS 1100D Filter Removal

Gina

Well done Gina, didn't think you would have a problem with it, I have just finished my 5D mod, it was easier than the 1100d. Now we just have to await clear skies and there have not been many of those this year so far, all this cloud and hardly any rain!.

Danielle

;)

Thank you ;) It turned out more difficult than I expected and I wasn't expecting a ribbon cable that was doubled back on itself and almost bound to tear if you didn't open the back very carefully and in a particular way. I'll be posting about it in the DSLR Modifications Yahoo group.

There was a strange issue with the screws too. Some fitted the PH000 screwdriver tip and others the no.0 tip.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yey well done very pleased for you phew ;):)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Thank you ;) It was a bit traumatic at times, particularly that ribbon cable to the display. Very poor design IMO.

Congrats Gina....

Relieved its working... For purely tethered astro use I guess there's no rush to get the damaged cable replaced and the display working...

Peter...

Thank you ;) No, no rush, in fact I'm planning to take it right out and probably the LCD unit as well. The latter being replaced with a Peltier TEC to cool the sensor chip. I've already had a quick look at this possibility. There is a screen attached to the back of the sensor unit frame that is something like 1.5-2mm away from the back of the sensor chip. I think this screen plate can be removed by undoing some screws but I didn't test that - I'll look into all that later when I've had some more imaging time with the filters out.

Thank you very much ;) Must admit, it stretched me to the limit ;)

As for the documentation, you can also thank my lovely Sony A200 used to take the photos plus GIMP in some cases to tweak the images :)

Thank you ;) Yes, I did nearly have kittens when the ribbon cable tore ;) That was a nasty moment and I needed a while to calm down. Not life threatening though - a worst case scenario of costing me £300 (ish) for a replacement camera. Have to say I'm very much relieved that it didn't come to that.

I think the various hypermods do away with the display anyway, is it worth asking for advice on the DSLRmodifications Yahoo group, there are a few people on there who have performed such a mod?
Just been rereading the thread and particularly the replies and see that I missed your link first time (I was a bit agitated I think). Thank you very much for that - it's just what I want for designing my cooler ;) How far I go with stripping down I'm not sure but there is some very useful info there. It's a different model so there are differences in the construction but the principles still apply ;)

I'll start a new thread for the cooling mod.

If you do try it and it works I may just try disconnecting mine. It's permanently housed in my cooler box and I'm never convinced that it has remembered the "Display | Last power off" setting.
Yes, thankfully it does work. :)
For me it's just a source of unwanted heat, I do use the display to occasionally perform a manual sensor clean though - can the full display be seen on a video monitor?
I haven't tried connecting a monitor to the video out mini HDMI - I haven't got a suitable cable. Only normal sized connectors. I do have an HDMI 1080p full HD monitor and a TV. I'll have to check further what the EOS Utility can do - I've only used it for imaging to the netbook so far. Or there may be other software that can access the Menu and display the info. I don't even know if this is possible through the USB connector.

I may buy myself a mini - standard HDMI cable. I'd like to see just what does come out that way.

EDIT - Just ordered a cable due to arrive Tuesday :)

You got some bottle Gina..... I've thought about doing my 400D, but can't afford the cost of replacing it should it goes wrong, so keep putting it off...

At lease you've proved one point, that the ribbon cable is not required if you are going to use the camera purely for astro use

Thank you all ;) I didn't replace the camera filters with anything other than fresh air but I have got an Astronomik CLS-CCD clip filter which I bought from Modern Astronomy I think.

I've just taken some more pics using the old 135mm telephoto lens from my film days and camera on a box pointing out the lounge window. There is still some mist on the far hill but otherwise reasonably clear.

Here are three images.

1. Without clip filter and no processing other than scaling for here.
  2. With clip filter otherwise as above.
  3. 2nd image processed in GIMP to enhance contrast and change gamma and change to grey scale. Obviously, with modded camera and CLS-CCD filter, the colours aren't terrestrial friendly ;)

1100D-2.jpg

1100D-3.jpg

1100D-4.jpg

Looking good what a great view you have there forcast clearsky here in suffolk hope its clear for you tonight to :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's great here :) We love it. I think there is a small chance that we might just get some breaks in the cloud tonight. I'm certainly hoping so, I have so many things to test and try out. Best views of Mars appear to be tonight if it IS clear.

Been mostly sunny today with some cloud. I was able to test the modded camera on the sun and the moon. These were both taken with camera directly on scope (no Barlow) so were cropped considerably. Processed in GIMP for curves and changed to grey scale. Note - this is a daytime moon shot so needed a lot of stretching.

IMG_0125.jpg

12-03-03.jpg

I got rid of the dust from the sensor with my rocket blower.

BTW the blue ribbon cable that connects to the camera back part is also not needed with USB control. Camera works fine without it so that means the whole back part is superfluous to USB camera control and imaging. Of course, you want either the back cover on or else put the camera in another box to keep dust out.

• 4 weeks later...

hi I have just finished this and I am amazed that the auto focus still works. I only removed the blue filter and replace the IR/UV back again. The mod went well. The only screw that was a pain was one of the screws under the shoulder strap loops. I must say Gary Honis's instructions are very good indeed and the screwsheet is a real time saver. I was very careful removing the back but it was so tricky not damage the ribbon cables. Putting the back on was difficult as well. The most useful tools were the screwdriver, flat blade chisel knife and the tooth pick

Great work Gina, have being follow your threads for a bit along with others doing 1100D mods. Heres my 1100D thread My 1100D modding thread *IR Cut mod finished* + pics of mod vs no mod - IceInSpace atm I have only done the filter removal though are about to start on cooling. I have being looking at a large number of things and atm have settled on a re-housing, large TEC with fan ducts, I'am also looking at using argon or c02 as its denser then air to give better results for moving heat. Would love to try a cold finger though there's not much room and condensation would be an issue of risk.

hi I have just finished this and I am amazed that the auto focus still works. I only removed the blue filter and replace the IR/UV back again. The mod went well. The only screw that was a pain was one of the screws under the shoulder strap loops. I must say Gary Honis's instructions are very good indeed and the screwsheet is a real time saver. I was very careful removing the back but it was so tricky not damage the ribbon cables. Putting the back on was difficult as well. The most useful tools were the screwdriver, flat blade chisel knife and the tooth pick
Glad it went well for you :) Yes, I had trouble with one of the screws under one of the shoulder strap loops on the first body, no problem on the second. The back connections are certainly very tricky!

Great work Gina, have being follow your threads for a bit along with others doing 1100D mods. Heres my 1100D thread My 1100D modding thread *IR Cut mod finished* + pics of mod vs no mod - IceInSpace atm I have only done the filter removal though are about to start on cooling. I have being looking at a large number of things and atm have settled on a re-housing, large TEC with fan ducts, I'am also looking at using argon or c02 as its denser then air to give better results for moving heat. Would love to try a cold finger though there's not much room and condensation would be an issue of risk.
Well, I'm going for a cold finger but won't be cooling the sensor below something like 10-15C and taking other precautions to avoid condensation. See my cooling thread for more info.

Archived