NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ebay Plossl

wella

Gents,

Ive got a Celestron 127 MAK in the post as my first scope.

This comes with a 9mm eye piece which I'm told as zero use.

So I've been looking for a cheap replacement to tide me over for a few months at that end of the eyepiece spectrum until I have developed a picture of what I really need and how much.

So I've found on Ebay this... eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace ...

eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=380398759809

I have also read that the 9mm is probably pushing things a little far with my scope so I moved up the scale a little and opted for a 12.5mm

Anyone any experience of these? Any other ideas around the same price that I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance, Paul (the photo is of the eyepiece but as Im on post 4 this it more than likely wont show)

Ive had a look at these myself. I am in the same situation as yourself and have been scouring the net looking for ideas. From what I can gather the 9mm is about the limit for the scope so can be used on better condition seeing nights. I was thinking about a 18mm so I can barlow down to 9mm but its the quality of these eyepieces that have me hindering. They are cheap but are they going to be any good. There are also these Series 500 1.25" 12.5mm Plossl Eyepiece | eBay but again I have no idea of quality. I am going to wait a few days before I order any so if you get 1 1st can you post to let me know what you think? If I get mine 1st I will do same.

Boab.

Series 500 are okay, i've got a couple. Not that great though. I wouldn't go cheap. £30 on Vixen or GSO would be a worthwhile investment and mean you won't have to buy twice.

+ 1 on that :p

If buying from eBay, it may be better to go for 2nd hand branded EP's in auctions, that way, you can check out reviews on them etc.

Also, I would wait for the scope to arrive and try the EP before you think about changing it.

Good choice boab, you will love this ep, worth the extra investment clearly. On the plossl choices, the STL ones are new to this country, so no reviews yet, but Alan says they're good. I would be more inclined to go for the Vixen plossls, proven quality and lots of satisfied users hereabouts.

I have the same scope and I think the 9 mm is ok to get started with. It's better to get the hang of your scope and see what you can see, and then experiment. 9mm is "only" 166x with this scope, many say 200x is the normal max in our climate.

I recently got an 8.8mm and was using it with my C6 at the weekend and floored by the views. The sky must have been good. It does happen.

Regarding BST, I have the 15mm and really like it in both scopes. if the 12mm is as good, then it's a great buy. But I'm relatively new to this and like to experiment!

Hi Mark, they should be OK at f/5 in my opinion, I use 70 & 82 degree Fov in my f/5 with no problems. Plossls usually have a very sharp FoV right to the edge. The 32mm plossl is usually a stunner.

Archived