Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A bit of a problem with foam:

Bizibilder

My Solar filter is made from a plastic ventilation fitting and is held onto the dewshield of my scope with draughtproofing foam strips - the self adhesive stuff. This stuff works well in compression, for which it was designed but, I have just noticed, not in shear! It's tearing itself apart! You can see the damage in the enclosed pic.

Any ideas for a substitute? Not forgetting that this device must slip on and off the scope regularly and not fall off when in use.

post-17157-133877737879_thumb.jpg

I tried draught excluder but it was immediately a total failure! So ended with a cardboard "top hat" as in the instructions Baader supply. The cardboard tube part is a snug fit on the scope's dew shield and shows no sign of coming off. I don't use visual though so no risk to eyes anyway. (Other than looking at the shadow on the obsy wall)

I tried draught excluder but it was immediately a total failure! So ended with a cardboard "top hat" as in the instructions Baader supply. The cardboard tube part is a snug fit on the scope's dew shield and shows no sign of coming off. I don't use visual though so no risk to eyes anyway. (Other than looking at the shadow on the obsy wall)

+!

As Gina states.

I used cardboard and covered with duct tape

During construction add enough duct tape to ensure a tight fit to your particular scope.

post-31088-133877737984_thumb.jpg

post-31088-133877737987_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts folks - I have some velcro and it may well work, perhaps just using the "soft" part round the inside of the holder will be enough to hold it in place.

I like the magnetic strip idea it may well be ideal - rip the strip out of a fridge door or similar and it would hold to the dew shield easily enough.

Not so sure about taping it in place - it may ruin the paintwork after a time?

Camping mat would certainly be more durable than the foam that I used - its just a case of getting the right adhesive.

I shall have a think about it......

Archived