Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M57 - The Ring Nebula

ElijahB

Hi All,

Seen a few people having a go at M57 so on the first clear night I had for what seemed like weeks, I had a go:

Taken in the early hours of the 27th June.

Equipment used: Celestron CPC 800 XLT at F6.3 - Alt-Az Unguided, Canon Rebel XT Unmodified, Laptop running DSLR Focus.

Shot consisted of numerous exposures of 15 secs @ ISO 1600 of which 21 were finally selected and stacked in DSS. Result was then processed in Photoshop (of which much practice is needed).

Original Shot:

486_normal.jpeg

Cropped Version:

487_normal.jpeg

Feedback always welcome.... still very new to this imaging lark, although still amazed at the results you can get without all the extra equipment like wedges, guiders, etc :shock:

That's a real beauty 8)

Love it in it's widefield setting :wink:

I agree that a lovely shot and I think the wide field really frames the shot nicely.

Ant

still very new to this imaging lark,

You sure? :cool:

Thats not the central star. It just so happens that there is another star ( a brighter one) in a direct line of sight.

The actual central star is much fainter and not central :? I think that the noncentral star is still there but it isn't the central one.

I need a lie down.

Ant

Thats not the central star. It just so happens that there is another star ( a brighter one) in a direct line of sight.

The actual central star is much fainter and not central :? I think that the noncentral star is still there but it isn't the central one.

I need a lie down.

Ant

:laughing3:

:thumbleft:

I know that one... that's the off-central centrally located central star.

Thanks for the comments everyone, still getting to grips with levels and curves in PS... it was only the other day I found out that you can set multiple points on the curves. Does anyome know of any good video tutorials for that kind of thing?

Cheers Steve, how you getting on with that Celestron Wedge? Only asking as looking to invest in a wedge in the near future. Lots of people say they are rubbish but it all comes down to what you can afford.

I don't know of any videos. Have you had a look at MartinB's primers at the front of the imaging section.

Rob

I have a nice copy of them from HUsher (as they contained the pics that are now lost in the originals), just have not had the time to sit down and read them thoroughly. I always find a video is one of those things you can have running while actually doing the work, I tend to learn quicker through demonstration (don't we all :wink: ). I must set some time aside to go through Martin's info.

Archived