NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which scope. Startravel 120 or evostar 80ed pro

At the higher magnifications which would be the better of the two scopes using a 10mm + 2x barlow.Would the extra light of the 120 outweigh the better optics of the 80 ed pro.It is the terrestrial use of the scopes that I am interested in as I have a reflecter scope as well.

I think you will be better off with the ED80. Chromatic aberration affects high power, more so for the short focal length achromat. In fact the extra light from the ST 120 means it will show even more purple fringe.

What are you trying to view anyway? The ST 120 is not a scope for high magnification planetary observation. If you have to pick a 120 achromat, you will be better off with the Evostar 120 f8.3.

I have a Startravel 120 - far too much CA - only bought it 2nd hand to try out. Can't wait to get an 80ed, or even something like a WO or something for grab and go.

I've been trying out the ST120 lately but for wild field 'browsing' 10x50 bins are as effective without the CA

I don't have an issue with the CA in my ST120, but I really only use it for DSOs. It's probably fairly hideous when viewing the moon.

It's not exactly small to carry around if you're after something portable, either.

James

I posted my query because I have an star travel 80 and it is not quite powerful enough.I live in Jersey and on clear days I like to view Guernsey and Sark.I also like to look at passing ships and fishing boats and high flying planes.For this, bins or a spotting scope are not powerful enough for my needs.I need a good view at about 120x.I have a baader zoom & barlow so all I need is a better scope.Thank you for the replies.

A small schmidt-cassegrain like the Celestron C5 might do the job for you. It's light and compact, has a decent light grasp and a relatively long focal length (1250mm) so it's easy to get higher powers. I had one on an AZ-3 alt-azimuth mount a while back and it was a nice portable setup with some real viewing potential. I've seen them used as nature scopes too - the RSPB had one set up at Symonds Yat (Forest of Dean) to view the Peregrines nest and it was very effective.

How come you no longer have it if you don't mind me asking John ?

Good question ................ it caused me to exceed my 3.5 scope limit and my other half only tolerates that for a certain length of time :D

The .5 is my old Tasco 60mm refractor which is in the loft so I argue it should not be counted fully :)

Having scopes coming and going occasionally is a good diversionary tactic from the box of green and black things in the corner too :(

I have a 4" binoscope and C8SE on Tenerife which I often use terrestrially during the daytime to view La Gomera. It has to be very good seeing to use much more than about 60X at which power it's possible to see cars driving along the roads. Based on this experience I would have thought a C5 would be ideal.

Archived