Building one's own dob

JamesF

My brother (WillsF of this parish) and I have been discussing the possibility of building our own telescope. Not, in my case at least, because I feel I need another telescope, but mostly because I just get a great deal of pleasure from making things that work. We're thinking of a dob-style scope, probably starting by making our own mirror(s).

The one tricky part is that we're starting from a total knowledge barely extinguishable from zero. We're not the kind of chaps who allow a minor issue like not having a clue what we're doing to get in the way of finishing a job though (it's never stopped us before), so I'm sure we'll manage somehow.

The big question now is where does one start? Are there any recommended sources that explain what you're trying to achieve from first principles and where to go from there? We've grazed the interwebs a bit, but I always like to work from personal recommendation where possible.

James

• 4 weeks later...
Get yourself this book The Dobsonian Telescope, A Practical Manual for Building Large Aperture Telescopes by David Kriege and Richard Berry

It tells you everything you need to know about building Dobs, big and small. Even has a section on mirror making

Andy

+1 on that book

It's the Dob builders bible.:)

Regards Steve

Galvoptics sell mirrors, based somewhere inEssex.

Also look at the Telescope Service site, they sell GSO mirrors.

Search for something like Oldham optics as well, used to have a site for mirrors with a name like that.

Give EarthSky.org - A Clear Voice for Science a try for the book.

As for mirrors, try Galvoptics Ltd. Scientific and industrial optical components. lenses, mirrors, filters, prisms etc or Welcome to Vacuum Coatings Scientific Mirrors homepage

I bought my copy of the book from Greenwich myself but that was a couple of

years ago

Andy

Not sure that Galvoptics make finished mirrors anymore I contacted them about this a while back and was told that this was a service they no longer provided.;)

These could be worth a shout though:

Oldham Optical Web Site

Nichol Optical

Regards Steve

HI I built my 6" f7.8 dob about ten years ago after buying a second hand

mirror set , no plans just an idear in my head all you realy need to know

is focal length. Myself 8" is a good size as not to big go for it .

I can certainly recommend it. I bought my mirrors, spider, focuser and tube but made the cell, the alt bearings and the rocker box/ground board. I also used the book mentioned.

If you would like to see my thread just ask.

If you would like to see my thread just ask.

I bet you say that to all the girls ;)

Actually, reading your dob construction threads have been one of my inspirations for doing this. My 10" mirror and spider arrived today and I'm trying to come up with some rough ideas for a design in my head at the moment, though it's tempting just to get the cheapest possible cardboard tube and put it all together just to get it working and then think about a nicer design afterwards.

I've also been thinking that a self-built telescope really ought to have a name, though more along the lines of a boat or aeroplane name than just a proper noun. So far I've come up with:

"Dob's a good'un"

"If a Dob's worth doing"

"Don't dob me in"

"Send a dob out on a night like this"

"Me and my big dob"

If I do that though I might have to get little Messier Object stickers to put on the side each time I find a new one ;)

James

I bet you say that to all the girls ;)

Actually, reading your dob construction threads have been one of my inspirations for doing this. My 10" mirror and spider arrived today and I'm trying to come up with some rough ideas for a design in my head at the moment, though it's tempting just to get the cheapest possible cardboard tube and put it all together just to get it working and then think about a nicer design afterwards.

I've also been thinking that a self-built telescope really ought to have a name, though more along the lines of a boat or aeroplane name than just a proper noun. So far I've come up with:

"Dob's a good'un"

"If a Dob's worth doing"

"Don't dob me in"

"Send a dob out on a night like this"

"Me and my big dob"

If I do that though I might have to get little Messier Object stickers to put on the side each time I find a new one ;)

James

ha ha - nice one! - I am glad my experience helped and hopefully inspired others too. It's something that anyone with average DIY skills like myself can do if you can borrow or buy the tools.

I think the cheap option to practice and get the scope working is a good idea. It will give you some experience to reduce costly mistakes when working with more expensive materials.

as for name name :

"taking the Dob for a stroll"

"It's a Dob's life"

"Treat me like a Dob"

(can you tell we have a puppy?) - I prefer yours though! good luck with the project. :o

Archived