Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what other eyepeice to add

I am no master of what one should have in there EP locker, but having used a 36mm something around that size would enhance your viewing, this would depend on your wallet ect as to the make and size, people in the know will be able to recommend the maximum your scope will operate with.

Hi i assume a 1000mm focal length giving 100x 40x and 166x. and double with a 2x barlow. I like to have an eyepiece in the 60-80 range I just seem to use them alot, so a 17-18mm would fit the bill (the 18mm bst from skys the limit is good at £41) as to very long focal eyepieces you need to be aware of exit pupil size try to stay less than 7mm I stay less than 6.5mm. At 6.5mm exit pupil you would need an eyepiece of around 32mm.

A lot of eyepieces in this size but second hand you could pick up a meade4000 for <£25 and they are excellent in 32mm length.

Hope that helps .

I went for an 8-25 baader zoom and 32 skywatcher SWA.

The zoom is really nice but has limited focus. I don't know the tetchy term, but it's like depth of field. So if you are not in the ball park for focus then you can't see a thing, not even a blur.

The 32mmSWA I had high hopes for in urban areas, turns out that streetlights reflecting on the exit lens make it difficult to use. Good on dark sites though.

I would probably get something like a TV at 12/13mm with a good 2x Barlow next. That, I reckon will do for my Dob 200.

Instead of adding to that collection, I'd make some mid to long range plans on replacing the stock 10&25 with something of better quality. A good low and medium power wide fields would go a long way.. Get one of them around 2mm exit pupil, this will probably end up as your DSO work horse.

i have just purchased the same scope as you and i replaced the std 10 and 25mm eyepieces will celestron x-cel lx eyespieces in 25mm,12mm and 7mm.i plan to add a 38mm skywatcher panaview for wideangle as 25mm isnt wide enough to capture some clusters in their entirety.i also plan to add the 5mm x-cel lx eyepiece and the x-cel barlow and tbh i would think that should last me for this scope and an upgrade to a 300/350p in a year or so.basically i bought the more expensive eyepieces to save money in the long run not buying another better set later on.

how does your scope stand up with the 6mm and barlow together,good view or too much magnification?i ask because i may not bother with the 5mm eyepiece and just barlow the 12 and the 7 as i think that may be enough mag for the 8" 200p

how does your scope stand up with the 6mm and barlow together,good view or too much magnification?

Keen to hear the answer to this also. I'd have thought that combo is virtually unusable as with a focal length of 1200mm in the 200p would result in x400 magnification - it'd take some seeing for x400 to deliver anyway decent results!

Cheers

ive read a few articles that say anything over about 250x magnification in anything other than clear dark skies is unusable.the 5mm eyepiece gives 240x on the 200p and with a barlow 480x which is too mich bit i think the 7mm at 3.5 may be ok if really dark but i will bow to more experienced members as im a 2 week amateur

There is no doubt that amount of aperture, optics, mount, tracking capabilities and location all open up magnification possibilities further, but there will be a ceiling for all amateur equipment. I suspect in unsually good seeing x250 is the about the limit for most but I've heard some folk (with top notch equipment) speak of quality views in excess x350. Depends also on what you're viewing.

Too many variables :D

ZG

I have a SW 200P dob and the first extra eyepiece I bought was a GSO Revelation 32mm plossl to enjoy wider views. Quite the reverse of pursuing higher magnification, the lower power was my most used and favourite plossl.

morning guys

as crashtestdummy & zero-g have written , i have not yet tryed

barlow lens as cloud cover still here in darkest croydon. only night was last week and i was busy looking at jupiter and orion got carried away with those and forgot to try it out,when skys are good ill try it

and report back, untill then i wait for a break in weather.

I never use anything below a 7mm (143x) on my 200P, seeing conditions just don't allow. I always find the 200P is better as a wide field scope anyway and my most used ep is my SW 32" PanaView (31x): Excellent views with exit pupil of 6.55 - perfectomondo!

Archived