Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Attempting Orion with camera + lens(es)

Here are a couple of snaps taken between gusts of sub-zero razor-wind last night :

Mount : NEQ6 Pro, unguided.

Camera : Canon 7D

Lens : Canon EF 50mm f1.8 mk1

Aperture : f1.8

Exposure time : 120 seconds

ISO : 1600

Filter(s) : Astronomik CLS clip LPR

Too many pink stars, as I tried to max-out Barnard's Loop, but this should hopefully be remedied in future. There's also a bit of trailing, as I hadn't aligned properly, and wasn't auto-guiding. Also, I can see what might be misshapen stars near the edge of the field; this may be due to the lens' aperture being wide open :

_0034100d2.jpg

Again, testament to the usefulness of the CLS Clip filter; another 2 minutes completely unaffected by the LP that even the eye can see around the lower sections of Orion right now. I was well pleased to see the Running Man and Horsehead showing up so well, even on this un-modded 7D :

Mount : NEQ6 Pro, unguided.

Camera : Canon 7D

Lens : Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L mkII

Aperture : f2.8

Exposure time : 120 seconds

ISO : 800

Filter(s) : Astronomik CLS clip LPR

_0034093f2c.jpg

Next time I hope to get more and longer subs, having set up and finally getting my head around the Synguider.

I'm getting a 50mm F1.8 UHC clip-in and planning to try it on a few regions - Orion, Cygnus and Casseiopeia. Also Auriga (not sure about that one). Nice to see the lens performs even at F1.8, and you got Ha signal with an unmodded camera.

Great shots Ivor.

I'd be very interested to see the equivalent shots without the CLS clip filter actually. I have a 50D and tried exactly the same thing at the weekend. All that could be seen was an orange mess with a load of stars. I was hoping to get some nebulosity, but all I could make out was the orion Nebula and a very, very faint little flame nebula.

Worth investing in the filter? Based on your results, most likely!

Yep, orange mush is what you'll see in most semi-urban exposures of more than a minute or two. Bear in mind, the above shots did require quite a bit of post-processing to eke-out the detail seen here. "Gradient exterminator" and some curve work at the very least. Straight off the camera, they were distinctly cyan-drenched, but this is a known "issue" with the CLS clip, and fairly easily rectified with auto white-balance.

Ivor - I think I really really like you lots !!!

I have the CLS clip filter, it didn't work with my 17-200mm lens, so assumed it wouldn't with other.

Then I came back to your thread again, the rear of my 70-400mm lense is narrow enough to fit with the filter installed - yippee !!!!

Cheers

Archived