NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which CCD would you replace a DSLR with?

Specman

Hi,

I have a Canon 1000D DSLR unmodded that I have considered upgrading for astro photography. However CCD has been suggested as an option. which CCD would you recommend and what would be the best way to go? I currently have a QHY5t CCD which I haven't had much luck with and planned to use for guiding through my SW 50mm finder.

Any thoughts? :icon_scratch:

Thanks

Direct replacement is QHY 8L - a big color cooled camera (the same sensor size as in Canon).

Interesting, that's the one I've been thinking of moving onto from the modded 1000D. The lack of decent cloud free nights this season has put me off going mono as originally planned. :icon_scratch:

Interesting, that's the one I've been thinking of moving onto from the modded 1000D. The lack of decent cloud free nights this season has put me off going mono as originally planned. :icon_scratch:

I've been umming and ahhing about the same camera, and for the same reason as you as well.

I got an Atik 314L mono when I stopped using my modded 1000D. I was finding myself a little frustrated with the large FOV that the DSLR was giving me and so galaxy season with my 900mm 120ED was pretty disappointing. The smaller chip with the Atik gaves me a much more pleasing FOV with the 120ED, but has meant that I needed to get a smaller scope in order to get the wider FOV as well. No one scope / camera combo does it all and you will be making compromises. Have you played with CCD Calc so that you can look at the FOV that all different combo's will give you?

Hi,

I have a Canon 1000D DSLR unmodded that I have considered upgrading for astro photography. However CCD has been suggested as an option. which CCD would you recommend and what would be the best way to go? I currently have a QHY5t CCD which I haven't had much luck with and planned to use for guiding through my SW 50mm finder.

Any thoughts? :icon_scratch:

Thanks

The QHY5t has a CMOS sensor not a CCD. CMOS = Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor, CCD = Charged Coupled Device.

Peter

The answer to your question really depends on various factors.

1) What is the budget?

2) What is your area of interest image wise? What kind of picture do you aspire to producing?

Cheers

Tim

I'm wondering if there is a better way of capturing DSO's. I'm already thinking QHY6. As for budget, DSLR budget really. TBH I know very little about CCD, CMOS cameras and I have not had that much luck with the two I have. Thanks

Archived