Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

polarity of astrozap heated dew shield

Northern Soul man

Hi to all, just wondering of the polarity of the phono plug on the end of an Astrozap heated flexible dew shield as I want to wire a simple cigar plug direct to the heated dew shield so as not to use a dew heater controller - its an 11" cpc Celestron scope has anyone got any experience with running a dew heater without the dew heater controller Thanks All Paul.

The polarity shouldn't matter - it's just a resistance circuit ( the centre pin is positive BTW)

It will only take as much current as it can - around 2A but you may still need to be able to control it by "pulling the plug" occasionally.

I've always used the controller....

Hi Merlin, thanks for the reply, just eager to get going - saving for a controller which is next on the list but wondered if it would be ok to run like this for a while, yes I understand I would have to pull the plug to regulate - but I can live with that for a while - Thanks again Merlin regards Paul.

Hi Merlin, thanks for the reply, just eager to get going - saving for a controller which is next on the list but wondered if it would be ok to run like this for a while, yes I understand I would have to pull the plug to regulate - but I can live with that for a while - Thanks again Merlin regards Paul.

Paul, depending on the length of your observing sessions (or whether you live in a swamp......?) you might get away with just a rolled up camping mat as a dew shield for a while and get your bank balance back in order. That's what I have done. Sure you ultimately need a Dew Controller some day but in my case I have not needed one just yet during three hour observing sessions.

Just a thought to save you some dosh.

Steve

as said no polarity on them but you cant regulate the heat, you could always buy a pulse width modulator cost around £10 this what is used in a dew controller any way. maplins sell them part no 919d2p thats what i used in my home made controlers and work a treat, hope this helps

Hi Guys, thanks for the advice, just going on my previous experience with the Meade, didn't have any problems with dew just using a flexi un - heated dew shield, but the Meade was an 8" - I've got enough for a heated dew shield but no controller - so I thought wiring the heater direct to the power tank and just regulating it by pulling the plug for a while - think I may try the DIY route for now (Thanks Kirkster) and not very good with a soldering iron Faulksy - are they just wired in-line - knowing my luck I'd end up going Supernova - cheers all and regards Paul.

I was looking at your post on the dew heater and it come to me that I had a heated car seat cover with a controll box and plug in the garage I got last year it still had the price on it 14.99 , I taking it out the cover and I am going to use it as a dew heater. So have a look round car shop may be the way to go .I will just add the controll has got on it 4 preset heat buttons with leds next to them so you can see the seting.

Archived