cheers paul...it all clouded over at about 2 so i nearly gave up....then it cleared half hour later...im glad i persaverd with it it was breathtakeing despite no barlow lense....tried taking a few pics with me web cam but its just not big enuf....but still a result. chuffed.

The rings look awesome ....I couldn't see the cassini division though....planning on getting that celestron EP set for fifty quid with a Barlow and ep's and a bunch of filters see if that helps. IV only had the scope for three weeks ish. And I'm already eyeing up next years birthday pressent to my self

Well done. I saw it for the first time last year through a 43 year old reflector that a friend had lent me. My brother and I set it up in my back garden and started to aimlessly look around the sky. All of a sudden a very blurry Saturn hoved into view. With it's rings it was unmistakable. Blurred but unmistakable. My brother and I were leaping around in the garden going nuts with excitement. If anyone saw us they would have thought that we were bonkers. It was a truly memorable moment.

I'll never forget when I first saw Saturn. In fact it was just last December.

I was jumping around like a crazed person. I wasn't sure if I would ever see it, or at least not with my own scope from my backyard.

Now I always look out for it in the morning. If it is clear I can spot it straight away, near Spica.

I've even been making some pretty good images with my webcam.

Its why I now own a 'scope and looking up. My first view of Saturn was more than 20yrs ago from a "Sidewalk Astronomer" in central London. Its taken a long time to launch myself into the hobby, but that view has stayed with me and drawn me back.

I won't let any amount of peer pressure sway me on this... All these posts about "WOW Saturn!"...

I've been waiting for just the right night... Maybe light some candles, sprinkle some rose petals...

Just kidding of course, just waiting for an earlier appearance, i need my beauty sleep. :)

i hate the street lamp haze we get on london if its just slightly hazey you get to see about nothing....if its nice and clear for london my back garden is actully pretty good and is south faceing too....id like to upgrade the air rifle to a 50 cal sniper...then i could take care of all the lamps in my street

sanmatt yes definitely you will see it great in a 6inch newt. I first saw it in a 130p (5inch) newt with a 9.7mm EP, Barlowed and it was awesome.

Oh my gosh! That's awesome news!! Thanks.

Any ideas how I might be able to image it? The motor is still knacked, it's being sent back tomorrow. so still cant track. I can hook up the DLSR to the scope though but wouldnt able to do a decent stack with any subs over 'however many seconds' before the trails set in. What do you think?

I won't let any amount of peer pressure sway me on this... All these posts about "WOW Saturn!"...

I've been waiting for just the right night... Maybe light some candles, sprinkle some rose petals...

Just kidding of course, just waiting for an earlier appearance, i need my beauty sleep. :)

But maybe she deserves a bit of special lovin'? She aint no Diamond White ho-ar ;P Get the petals scattered!

Congrats Steelyglint....Looks truly awesome eh.

Everyone is bang on about remembering your first Saturn moment...from 02:46 to 04:38am 22.01.12 for me lol, it was clear but painfully cold, until I saw Saturn for the first time, suddenly I warmed up and was grinning for England. It will always be up there with my best memories. Only really seen it properly that night, cant wait to have another go over next few nights.

Steely, I have an army of fishing umbrellas to aid my light pollution war, they take care of 3 very close street lights. They dont do much for Heathrow or London tho doh. The lpr filter does help a lot, worth investing in one.

Sanmatt, Saturn should be stunning through your 6", I had amazing views through my SW130P, x2 Barlow, she took some keeping up with to keep her in the field of view though as I dont have tracking.

:icon_scratch: Well done Steely.

PS -get off the online 'Astronomy shop EP & Barlow' depts and do some work lol.

Clear skies all

Ed

Archived