NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wireless Boosting

Freff

I'm using a set of these at present. They work very well and simply plug and play. http://www.7dayshop....ducts_id=113229

I have them working with no issues over 3 separate ring mains.

To have laid Cat5 cable would have involved drilling 6 walls 1 ceiling,and at best running cable over skirting board. All that just to get the cable outdoors, then having to dig a trench to lay it to the obsy.

For £50 it was just not worth the hassle. These unit come with a 2yr warranty from a reliable company. My only gripe is that one unit has to be used to connect to the modem/router, losing one as a terminal.

I have one in the obsy and a spare should I need it for elsewhere (workshop etc).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i BEAM MINE FROM THE HOUSE TO THE OBSERVATORY ABOUT 60 YDS AWAY WITH TWO METAL REFLECTORS, ONE BEHING THE ROUTER AERIAL IN A LOFT WINDOW, AND ONE BEHIND THE WIFI ADAPTER (PROTECTED IN A PLASTIC CAN) ON A MAST ON THE OBSERVATORY, IT WORKS FINE, EVEN WHEN THE OBS IS ROTATED ABOUT 45 DEG (ITS A ROTATING SHED) AND PICKS UP EVERY WI FI IN THE VILLAGE TO BOOT!

Running cat5e/6 cable or installing homeplugs is fine, but what if a Wifi signal is required at the observatory for ipad/smartphone app uses for instance? How can you get Wifi at the end of the lengthened network cable (plugged into the wireless router at the other end)?

• 7 months later...

I think you can link some wifi routers together via cat 5 cable. You can also link them together over wifi.

If your kit can handle the newer n signal wifi that reaches further than b or g and is faster as well. Maybe worth upgrading the router.

Running cat5e/6 cable or installing homeplugs is fine, but what if a Wifi signal is required at the observatory for ipad/smartphone app uses for instance? How can you get Wifi at the end of the lengthened network cable (plugged into the wireless router at the other end)?

If you have a network cable already in place and want to add wifi to it then something simple like this will do it ..

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/access-points-range-extenders-and-bridges/dap-1160-wireless-g-access-point

or this ..

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/160958092887?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

Note: they are not routers, they are just wireless access points (provide you with a basic wireless connection to a LAN).

Archived